New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am encountering a frustrating problem. Have a Toshiba Satellite A135-S447 running Vista Home Premium that once a day - and only once a day - locks up when sending a file or forwarding an e-mail using Thunderbird (either 2.0 or newly installed 3). Laptop simply becomes non-responsive to any input and I am forced to simply do a "hard" shutdown whereby on re-booting system notes that Windows was not properly shut down. After the machine does its daily lock-up, it is fine for the balance of the day. The next day, regardless of whether the machine is put into Sleep, Hibernation or re-booted cold, it has to do it's daily lock up, usually within a hour to hour and one-half.
    I have Googled this issue to death and have fiddle with power settings, drivers, etc. and haven't come up with a solution. The weird part is the once a day and only once a day lock up.
    System doesn't show signs of running hot, never showing a temp above the low 40 C's, none of the error logs log an issue. Does it both on battery power and AC power supply.
    Any other suggestions out there? Thanks.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have tried running file checker?
    I have vista home premium and had similar but don't think it was once a day.
    Perhaps try Revo clean function, Ccleaner, jv16 and a good defrag like the free version Auslogics puts out, and run Auslogics Optimize function, that's found under the Action menu not the advanced as the latter cost money.
    Piriform (Ccleaner) now put out another free program called Speccy which generates :-

What's in your computer? If you're like most of us, you can probably name the processor (Intel or AMD, Celeron or Pentium), maybe how much RAM it has, and maybe how big the hard drive is.

When you go to a computer store and see all the bright shiny PCs laid out next to each other, most will have tags or stickers indicating the:

* Processor brand and model
    * Hard drive size and speed
    * Amount of memory (RAM)
    * Graphics card
    * Operating system

Two or three years later, when it comes time to upgrade your computer, that tag or sticker may be long gone. Speccy was designed as a free electronic "what's inside" sticker for your PC.

However it displays more than that and worth a look i think.

Thanks
    Hi Ron and welcome to the Lounge!

Does your computer lock up if you do not use Thunderbird? If it only occurs when you use Thunderbird, perhaps there is an add on or plug in that is misbehaving. Try disabling one at a time to see if things stabilize.

If your newly installed Thunderbird 3 was an upgrade over top of Thunderbird 2, then you might uninstall Thunderbird completely with Revo Uninstaller and do a clean install of Thunderbird 3.

I do not know if your Vista is a 32 bit or 64 version; Revo free will not uninstall 64 bit software, but it will uninstall 32 bit software even in a 64 bit OS.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Typically it locks up in TB since that's the program I'm first in every morning but it will lock up in others. Vista 32 bit with Intel T2250 chip, 80g HD., 3g RAM (I've removed and re-inserted the RAM just to make sure there isn't a fuzzy connection there.)
    I run Ccleaner weekly along with jv16 and defrag with JkDefrag.and AVG
    I think I'll try the suggestion to completely remove TB 3 and do a clean reinstall just on the chance something is conflicting there.