Robin_Freestun

Embedding Word documents

Hi
    I am doing some research and have created a form to view embedded word documents. The form object shows some of the content of the document making up that record. I want to Double-Click the object and have Word open in all its glory with the document in the window. I can make this happen by right clicking and choosing Open Object, but want the mouse D-click to do it. I don't know the VBA to make this event happen. Any thoughts?
    The advantage of the database I've created is that I can load all the web documents I find into the database, along with book reviews I create, scanned documents, pictures etc. and mark them up with colour, bold etc. AND DON'T WASTE PAPER!
    TIA Robin[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Embedding Word documents

Are you actually embedding the documents or just storing the links to them? Your database is going to get awfully big fast if you actually embed documents and graphics in it.

If you have a field in the table that holds the hyperlink to the embedded document, you can put that on your form, visible or not as you choose, and then use the follow method to open the hyperlink like this, where DocAccress is the name of the control containing the hyperlink to the current document:

[DocAddress].Hyperlink.Follow True
    Charlotte

Robin_Freestun

Hi Charlotte - thanks for the response.
    I am embedding the text, not pictures particularly - the idea was to cut out the paper chase. Rather than print documents I found on the web (and get 5 or 6 inches of paper stacked up with no search facilities) I thought I'd store them in a db instead. I know it will get big, but if the docs are just 50 or 60k of text, this shouldn't be a big problem, should it?
    TIA Robin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Documents you found on the web means what? Are you storing web pages or Word docs?
    Charlotte

Robin_Freestun

Hi Charlotte
    Because Word has the editing (cut/paste) and highlighting features I use all the time I store everything as a Word document. So, when I find a web (HTML) document I like, I Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C the content, switch to Access, create a new record, insert a Word Document object into my OLE field, double-click it, which starts Word, then paste the document straight in. I get all the graphics and text in an editable form. I can then strip out the graphics, highlight, annotate, whatever, in Word directly.
    So, while they were Web pages to begin with, I get them into normal Word format. It's Word 2000, so the text format appears as Normal(Web) but essentially its a normal Word document.
    Any suggestions? It seems to work very well, but I'm open to other ideas.
    If I save a document from IE5.5 I get an HTML page and a directory full of graphics. The parent directory looks pretty poxy, and fills up quickly. I thought a database would be neater, and expected that compacting it would be efficient.
    You think not?
    Thanks for the interest. Robin

Super Moderator
    Thanks

On the form try setting the Verb property to -2. This works when you have already embedded an object. If you need code for adding an object let me know.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Robin_Freestun

Thanks Neighbour (I'm at Swinburne - Lilydale!, just up the road, perhaps). I will get back to you - I'm not sure I know what you mean by the Verb property. [img]/w3timages/icons/blush.gif[/img]. Robin
    (I'm using Access 97 & 2000 - I'm Doing Honours App Sci (IT))

Robin_Freestun

Thanks Andrew - such a simple thing.
    Microsoft must have been hard pressed to come up with such a self-explanatory term, as 'Verb' don't you think! [img]/w3timages/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    However, it's just what I wanted - so I wont knock it (any more!)
    Regards, Robin