New Lounger
    Thanks
    In the past two days, I have been getting many pop-ups of a window saying:

[attachment=88561:security warning.jpg]

In this case, it is complaining about something involving gmail.

I figure it must be the result of some Windows Update patch.

Is anyone else being bugged by this?

How can I turn off this intrusive check?

Lloyd
    Attached Images Attached Images

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is it possible for us to see a screen capture of the "View Certificate" dialog window.

To me this is more of an advisory check to alert you to a potential security problem with a remote provider whether it be gmail or other.

My guess is you have your account (pop3/smtp) settings with gmail setup with an alias address instead of the one listed by the certificate.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I do not have the dialogue up now. Next time it appears, I'll get a shot of it.

I am not doing anything with email myself when it happens, but it could be Outlook fooling around in the background.

Later,
    Lloyd

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Leiderman View Post
    Outlook fooling around in the background.
    It does a lot of that. Look forward to hearing from you

Also have a look at this Google/Gmail setup guide for Outlook 2007 and verify your settings are the same.

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...n&answer=77689

New Lounger
    Thanks
    For your info, I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on an HP laptop with 4 gb of RAM and 500 gb hard drive.

Well, it seems the problem does have to do with Outlook. Another problem i have been having since "upgrading" (actually downgrading) to Windows 7 is that Outlook and Word blow up consistently. They can only run for several hours at a time, and then they freeze and splay characters all over the screen. I have to use program manager to terminate their process, and sometimes that doesn't even work, and I have to use WinPatrol to terminate the actual services.

This time when it happened, I restarted Outlook 2007, and the certificate message came up again. I do have several gmail accounts defined in Outlook. below are the screen shots.

[attachment=88562:certificate 1.jpg]
    [attachment=88563:certificate 2.jpg]
    [attachment=88564:certificate 3.jpg]

Note that the last screen shot says "This certificate is okay." But they don't say okay for what. I think it is okay for depositing into an Icelandic volcano.

This certificate annoyance is bad, but I would REALLY like to be able to get Microsoft's flagship programs, Outlook 2007 and Word 2007 to be able to run for more than a few hours at a time under Microsoft's own flagship operating system.
    Open Office is looking better and better as time passes. I think my only hope is that Office 2010 might (hope,hope, hope) be better. Right now, I think Microsoft needs to hire a boxcar load of hobo lunatics. Maybe they would be able to make some sense out of the monster software the Gates crew has sicced on mankind.

Lloyd
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    For your info, I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on an HP laptop with 4 gb of RAM and 500 gb hard drive.

Well, it seems the problem does have to do with Outlook. Another problem i have been having since "upgrading" (actually downgrading) to Windows 7 is that Outlook and Word blow up consistently. They can only run for several hours at a time, and then they freeze and splay characters all over the screen. I have to use program manager to terminate their process, and sometimes that doesn't even work, and I have to use WinPatrol to terminate the actual services.
    Was your Windows 7 install an upgrade or clean install?

Have you tried reinstalling Office? Is Office up-to-date with service packs and hot fixes?

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [attachment=88562:certificate 1.jpg]
    Seeing as you are using POP to access your gmail and not IMAP please see the link below.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Is Office up-to-date with service packs and hot fixes?
    Part 3 of the google support article asks the user to do exactly this

Please check the following Google/Gmail article and review steps 1 through to 3 and get back to us.

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...n&answer=86373

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks