3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sections & styles (WD2k SR-1)

Hi.

I have a document, the body of which is written with numbered paragraphs/headings, the numbering being to the left of a vertical line that I have in the header, the text to the right of it. I also have appendices, and each of these has a title on a page on its own, with the Appendix body text following on subsequent pages. The style of the appendix heading means that I don't want the vertical line here, but I do for the foloowing text. At present, this means a section break on a new page, creating the appendix heading, plaing another new section on another new page, breaking the links between a) the second new section and the first; and [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] the first and the previous section, and then editing the header to remove the vertical line on the appendix heading page.

There must be an easier way to do this!

So, I have some questions:

1. Is there an easier way, and what is it? (that's it, go for the simple question first!)
    2. Can I define a style so that instead of "Page Break Before", I can set "Section break before"?
    3. Would "headings different first page" help here?
    4. Or. failing all those, should I give up, go home, and bury my head in a pillow?

Thanks, in much anticipation.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sections & styles (WD2k SR-1)

Each of your queries is answered below:
    1. Is there an easier way, and what is it? (that's it, go for the simple question first!)

Yes. The section containing the Appendix pages alone should have different first page, and in the First Page Header of that section, remove the vertical line.

2. Can I define a style so that instead of "Page Break Before", I can set "Section break before"?

Not to my knowledge. You could, however, achieve that effect by defining the style as Page Break Before, and writing a macro to search for every instance of that style in Normal View and convert the Page Break to Section Break| Next Page

3. Would "headings different first page" help here?

Yes, see answer to 1 above.

4. Or. failing all those, should I give up, go home, and bury my head in a pillow?

Your choice! Cheers!