5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Got an XP Home desktop which has started crashing after this weeks round of Windows Updates. Found 7 updates in Add/Remove Programs with Wednesday's date. Since then, after a few minutes of starting the PC, a window comes up saying there is going to be a system shutdown initiated by NTAUTHORITY\SYSTEM because the Remote Procedure Call service terminated unexpectedly. And a few seconds later the PC reboots.

Going to see if System Restore will let me back up before Wednesday, but whether or not it does, how do I find out which of the 7 updates is causing the problem?

Thanks
    You can try uninstalling them one at a time to troubleshoot them.
    Updates in XP are located in the Windows main directory as a hidden folder, with the uninstaller in a subfolder.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Alternatively, you can uninstall the updates and if the problem goes away, wait until an all clear is signaled for safe downloading of the updates by Woody Leonhard at AskWoody.com . Woody advises to wait on the installation of the April Windows Update patches. He is a good source to check out for any known issues concerning Windows Update patches.

If you have not already done so, I would change the Automatic Update option to "let me know when an update is available but let me decide when to download and install".
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    You can try uninstalling them one at a time to troubleshoot them.
    Updates in XP are located in the Windows main directory as a hidden folder, with the uninstaller in a subfolder.
    Looks like the updates aren't the problem. I used System Restore to back up to the day before the updates were applied, and the crash still occurs. Looked in Event Viewer, and got told to issue the following at a command prompt to see what is going on:

sc query [service name]

So I entered:

sc query Remote Procedure Call

and just got an Invalid Syntax message

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JJDetroit View Post
    Looks like the updates aren't the problem.
    And they weren't. Had an accumulation of malware that had slipped by the Internet Security suite on the PC, disabling the anti-virus portion and interfering with Windows Update. Used MalwareBytes AntiMalware to kill a couple dozen things, which allowed the PC to stay running long enough for me to deal with fixing the suite and running Microsoft Update several times (found way more updates than the 7 installed previously this week). Kept checking with Belarc Advisor until it reported all Windows security patches were installed. No more RPC problem!