New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have tried to install this update numerous times but it bombs during the configuration stages. The update installs, it goes into configuring stage one and two, completes, it boots and stage three completes and it reboots again. This time it reverts back to original configuration and fails with generic code 80004005. I have worked with Microsoft but they couldn't solve the problem and left me with only answer being a complete system reinstall. It just seems since this is the only update to fail in my machine, after hundreds of other updates, it shouldn't be that hard to figure out for Microsoft but guess I'm wrong.
    Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    What did Microsoft have you try?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The so called engineer (Indian) took control of my computer and with remote access did the troubleshooting. He mostly did some changes in services
    and had me reinstall the update which I told him would react exactly as I had described. To be honest I don't think he was an expert on this update.
    I have done some more internet surfing and have found another party who is experiencing the exact same problem. The idea that my computer is corrupt and a re-install is the only answer does not seem correct to me. My computer runs just as good as the day it was new and I keep it tuned up to do so.
    Being a big fan of Fred Langa (circa Win 95) I have learned a lot about keeping my computer 100%.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Whealdon View Post
    The so called engineer (Indian) took control of my computer and with remote access did the troubleshooting. He mostly did some changes in services
    and had me reinstall the update which I told him would react exactly as I had described. To be honest I don't think he was an expert on this update.
    I have done some more internet surfing and have found another party who is experiencing the exact same problem. The idea that my computer is corrupt and a re-install is the only answer does not seem correct to me. My computer runs just as good as the day it was new and I keep it tuned up to do so.
    Being a big fan of Fred Langa (circa Win 95) I have learned a lot about keeping my computer 100%.
    Have you tried disabling your anti-virus software before the install?

Have you tried the install in safe mode?

Try downloading the patch, saving it to your dekstop, and then install. Download Download details: Security Update for Windows Vista (KB978338) or Download details: Security Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB978338) depending on the "bitness" of your version of Vista.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe- Thanks for the input. Yes I have tried to install after disabling my virus protection and my Spybot to no avail. I also just tried to install in safe mode
    as you requested to no avail. The update installer will not load in safe mode. Any other ideas will greatly be appreciated. Ken