2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello! This is my first time posting on the lounge. I have problems with my router losing connections with other devices in my home. I have a D-Link WBR-2310 router, and I have to occasionally unplug it and plug it back in to reset it when I can not connect with my other devices on the network. I'm running WIN XP SP3 and have Network Magic installed but don't use it that often. Does anyone know why I once a week have to come in and reset the router? Thanks in advance!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Plenty of folks who purchaced this router having issues. See Newegg's review section, maybe a hint at a possible resolution.

Go through your documentation carefully too.

Dynamic IP vs Static??
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    Plenty of folks who purchaced this router having issues. See Newegg's review section, maybe a hint at a possible resolution.

Go through your documentation carefully too.

Dynamic IP vs Static??
    I have a dynamic IP it renews every few days or so. I'm thinking this has something to do with it, every time I release an IP adderess and obtain another it's eraseing the MAC addresses of the other devices?

Thanks
    Hi Rocky and welcome to the Lounge,

If you are using network management software that was supplied with your D-Link router, try uninstalling it and use Windows to manage your wireless networking. I have seen this solve several problems over the years. Windows XP and higher do a pretty good job of detecting, setting up, and managing wireless connectivity.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Hi Rocky and welcome to the Lounge,

If you are using network management software that was supplied with your D-Link router, try uninstalling it and use Windows to manage your wireless networking. I have seen this solve several problems over the years. Windows XP and higher do a pretty good job of detecting, setting up, and managing wireless connectivity.
    Hello, and thank you very much for your response! I didn't install any third party software from D-Link when I hooked up the router. The only other thing which I just thought of is, I have some processes of "Network Magic" running, but not the actual program itself. I hardly ever use it, but don't want to uninstall it unless I can perform the same features via XP.
    I guess I can uninstall it (Network magic) and see what happens. Is there an alternative to printing remotly from other computers on the network and sharing files, etc without having to use a third party program?

Thanks
    Rocky, I have not used Network Magic. However, you can manage networking functions just by using what comes in the operating system. Take a look at this Microsoft link for information on simple file sharing in XP.

Printers attached to a networked computer can also be shared with other computers on your network. You can go to Printers and Faxes in Control Panel and add a printer. You would not choose to set up a local printer; choose A network, or a printer attached to another computer. Follow the wizard; if Browse for a printer does not do the trick, then an address path to the printer will have to be set up (\\server\printer), and a driver for the printer will have to be installed on any XP machine that you want to utilize the printer.

A quick search using your favorite internet search engine will turn up much info on this subject.

Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A quick search using your favorite internet search engine will turn up much info on this subject.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I'll do that. I really appreciate your help and the time it took to answer my question. For what it's worth, I was using Network Magic to connect this XP machine to another running Win2000, but NM stopped supporting Win2000 so I'm thinking of just getting rid of it. Thanks again!

Thanks
    Rocky, let us know how things turn out with your connectivity. It may help someone else.
    Deadeye81

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rocky, let us know how things turn out with your connectivity. It may help someone else.
    First off, thank you everyone for their input and help! I went ahead and uninstalled Network Magic and booted up the computer in the other room, its logged on right away and the signal strength is even better not sure if that had anything to do with uninstalling. But it looks as though there was some component within NM that was causing interrimitent connection problems. The only reason I used the program was because it had some features that made network sharing easy and printing wirelessly was a breeze, but I can still do most of that without the program, it's just a little more of a pain. Anyhow, I'll keep you updated if I run into any futher problems. Take care

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I threw mine away and bought a Buffalo WHR-G54S which I then flashed with the Tomato firmware and I couldn't be happier now .

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Rodenbach View Post
    Hello! This is my first time posting on the lounge. I have problems with my router losing connections with other devices in my home. I have a D-Link WBR-2310 router, and I have to occasionally unplug it and plug it back in to reset it when I can not connect with my other devices on the network. I'm running WIN XP SP3 and have Network Magic installed but don't use it that often. Does anyone know why I once a week have to come in and reset the router? Thanks in advance!
    Hi,
    First thing I would do is update the firmware.
    I'd suggest checking the site or calling support for the latest firmware update number.
    My admin page on my D-link router did not indicate that an update was available, but support told me that there was one.
    Good Luck!

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have this same beast, have gone the route of trying Network Magic (uninstalled it), updated the BIOS, and said the odd prayer. Nothing has improved the wireless functionality of my D-Link WBR-2310 router.

I even kept detailed records of what software and when I used each package on my laptop. Nothing gave a hint of when the wireless portion will go down. I have two other PC's and a printer hard wired to the router. Whenever I lose the wireless functionality, I log into the router, select "WIRELESS SETTINGS", and then click "Save Settings". In about 30 seconds I have my wireless back for a few minutes to 5-6 days. While I am close to the router I connect my laptop with a network cable to reduce frustration.

I have contacted D-Link many times with little response in the way of support. They did walk me trough updating the BIOS, but offered little else in the way of support.

Tom

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J Bruce View Post
    Hi,
    First thing I would do is update the firmware.
    Good advice, and I all ready have done that, it seems networking XP and 2000 isn't as easy as you would think! They're basically the same kernel more or less not as radically different as XP and Win98. It's not imperative I have the other computer up and running right away, but I would like to get everything running for my own satisfaction at least. I'm reading up on how to network the two OS's and learning as I go along. I'm not saying D-link is bad, but if I had my druthers I would have chose a Cisco router but at the time that was the only router to chose from, in other words I had to chose a router right then and didn't have a chance to go anywhere else. In any event, it's not the end of the world for sure, just a little nuance that furthers my understanding of these strange contraptions.