Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi; I have just upgraded from my 10-year-old xp system/computer to a brand-new HP Pavilion Elite, with win7 home premium.

my problem is that IE works perfectly, but Firefox and Windows Live Mail think there is no internet connection. even windows live installer says there is no internet connection.
    I downloaded Chrome, and Opera, and they also cannot reach the internet!

BUT when I start windows in safe mode, EVERYTHING works perfectly!

here is how I got to this point:

1. needed to break the 1 terabyte C partition down: did this with BOOTIT NG, creating partitions for my XP system.

2. copied a bootit XP image from the old machine via my USB external HD, over to the new machine. now have dual boot via BOOTIT, for XP and win7.

3. now migrated all 'needed' programs from xp (on the new machine), over to win7, using PCmover pro.

4. the first thing I checked was windows live mail, which came up perfectly, with all current and saved emails.
    but it gets a 0x800CCC0E error. but don't forget it does get my email, in safe mode.

I have tried other mail clients, all are the same.

I am signed on as ADMINISTRATOR.

you can see the whole sad story over at majorgeeks.com http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthr...04#post1475204

hopefully someone will have some ideas...

TIA,

Vern

Thanks
    BUT when I start windows in safe mode, EVERYTHING works perfectly!
    It could be a problem with a driver, especially if safemode works. Look in "device manager" under network adapters and uninstall the driver>>then boot.
    Make sure that you have an up to date one handy for it's reinstallation.
    Also, check through your Event Viewer for errors and see what they're squaking about. I didn't recall any of this mentioned at Majorgeeks.

now migrated all 'needed' programs from xp (on the new machine), over to win7, using PCmover pro.
    Try to avoid "migrating" software over as opposed to installing them fresh. Too many issues can crop up as a result of doing this. Sometimes the "easy way" causes more problems.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Welcome Vern Harlow

hello Clint, thans for your reply.

It could be a problem with a driver, especially if safemode works. Look in "device manager" under network adapters and uninstall the driver>>then boot.
    Make sure that you have an up to date one handy for it's reinstallation.
    Also, check through your Event Viewer for errors and see what they're squaking about. I didn't recall any of this mentioned at Majorgeeks.

which driver are you talking about ? for WLM ? Firefox? Chrome? Opera ?
    do you think they all, have outdted drivers, just downloaded, latest updates ?

Try to avoid "migrating" software over as opposed to installing them fresh. Too many issues can crop up as a result of doing this. Sometimes the "easy way" causes more problems.
    so what are you suggesting here ? go back to square 1 and do the entire 2 week's work over again ?

thanks for your thoughts, but I do hope someone can be more help than this.

Vern

Thanks
    Vern, are you having the same problems with both the XP and Windows 7 installations?

Since you have no problems in Safe Mode, obtaining the latest drivers available for all your hardware devices would be a wise thing to do, and as CLiNT already suggested, most definitely the network card driver.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Gerald, thanks for your reply.

while I am no expert or guru, I consider myself pretty technically oriented, over the years having helped lots of folks with their problems, as well as having solved some pretty knotty situations on my own system.

I guess I don't understand why windows in safe mode would have newer drivers than windows in normal mode ?
    surely it can only use what is on my system, .... ?

as far as my XP system it is working fine with all the items mentioned as a problem in win7.

as far as my realtek networking driver, hp.ca shows the same version as on my system.

the bios is jan 2010.

there is something very strange when one downloads a new program, thunderbird and opera and chrome, for example, and each of them think there is no internet!

right now I have a list of processes from task manager, both in safe mode, and in normal mode, and am trying to figure the best way to disable 1 at a time in normal mode, that doesn't show in safe mode, till I find the culprit.

thanks for your consideration,

Vern

Thanks
    I guess I don't understand why windows in safe mode would have newer drivers than windows in normal mode ?
    surely it can only use what is on my system, .... ?
    I don't recall any discussion whatsoever of a driver version disparity between a normal mode of operation and
    safemode.
    If you have functionality in safemode that you do not have in normal operation then that would obviously
    point to an issue of either driver or software corruption in the normal operation.

Now, having said that, start putting those years of technical know how to good use in troubleshooting your software
    and or driver setup along those lines.

You should also take a closer look at what role BootIt NG's boot manager has in all this as well.
    There may be something you overlooked in regards to BootIt NG's role from the very begining up until now.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    I don't recall any discussion whatsoever of a driver version disparity between a normal mode of operation and
    safemode.
    If you have functionality in safemode that you do not have in normal operation then that would obviously
    point to an issue of either driver or software corruption in the normal operation.

Hello again - please explain to me how my ethernet adapter's driver will be corrupted when running normally, and yet still accessing the internet perfectly with IE; and in safe mode there would be an UNcorrupted driver that allows wlm and ff to work as well as ie ???
    my understanding of safe mode is that it simply loads fewer processes, thus keeping things simple; so when I see it works in safe mode, I assume there must be some process screwing things up. I did not know that safe mode has access to different drivers than normal running.

Now, having said that, start putting those years of technical know how to good use in troubleshooting your software
    and or driver setup along those lines.

I came here looking for help; in my last post I showed that my ethernet driver is current. and since I am writing this note in IE in my win7 system, I am assuming it is working correctly. and that is what device manager says about all my devices.

You should also take a closer look at what role BootIt NG's boot manager has in all this as well.
    There may be something you overlooked in regards to BootIt NG's role from the very begining up until now.
    I've used bootit ng since 2002 when I upgraded to XP, so I could dual boot back and forth between the 2 OS.
    I have worked with it extensively, including getting lots of help and advice from its developer, and once booted to winidows, it is gone - not operational in the system.

regards,

Vern

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern Harlow View Post
    I've used bootit ng since 2002 when I upgraded to XP, so I could dual boot back and forth between the 2 OS.
    I have worked with it extensively, including getting lots of help and advice from its developer, and once booted to winidows, it is gone - not operational in the system.
    Safe Mode loads bare bones drivers that are included with the OS. The only third party drivers that get loaded would be those that are required to boot the system such as SATA or motherboard drivers. Since your issue appears to be internet connectivity running in normal mode the first step would be to install the latest Win7 drivers for your NIC.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern Harlow View Post
    3. now migrated all 'needed' programs from xp (on the new machine), over to win7, using PCmover pro.

4. the first thing I checked was windows live mail, which came up perfectly, with all current and saved emails.
    but it gets a 0x800CCC0E error. but don't forget it does get my email, in safe mode.

I have tried other mail clients, all are the same.

I am signed on as ADMINISTRATOR.

Vern
    I would suggest that you first copy any necessary mail/data files to a separate folder, then uninstall/reinstall all 'needed' programs that require internet access, reinstalling Windows 7 versions where available, reinstalling in compatibility mode where Windows 7 versions are not available. Uninstall-reboot-reinstall.

The indications are that there are some conflicts in TCP/IP in the migrated programs, and in Safe mode, only the Windows 7 TCP/IP stack is loaded, forcing the migrated programs to use Windows 7 TCP/IP. In normal mode they could be reverting to the "migrated" TCP/IP configuration(s) and causing the hiccups (one TCP/IP stack trying to run under/over the other TCP/IP stack).

Also, I would strongly suggest against running as Administrator.

I have also used BootIt NG for years, and agree that BootIt could not have anything to do with your problems.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    well, THANK-you, bbearren, that tcp/ip certainly makes sense to me.

don't know if I mentioned it here, but even the windows live installer can't access the internet, so I've been unable to upgrade wlm.

is there any way I can get into the tcip/ip stuff and maybe fix it ?

I remember looking into it a bit some time ago, but I'm a neophyte in that area.

also, would that also affect other browsers freshly downloaded ?

thanks for your help,

Vern

Thanks
    Check your event log for errors and warnings. Something might jump out at you. Otherwise, I would suggest using Revo Uninstaller to completely uninstall any migrated program that uses internet access (this includes programs that only access the internet for their own updates), reboot, then reinstall directly into Windows 7, uninstall the next one, lather, rinse and repeat. That is the most straightforward approach.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='bbearren' date='2010-04-19 10:56' timestamp='1271688961' post='835976']
    [font="Georgia"]I
    The indications are that there are some conflicts in TCP/IP in the migrated programs, and in Safe mode, only the Windows 7 TCP/IP stack is loaded, forcing the migrated programs to use Windows 7 TCP/IP. In normal mode they could be reverting to the "migrated" TCP/IP configuration(s) and causing the hiccups (one TCP/IP stack trying to run under/over the other TCP/IP stack).

Hi again - help me to understand - I was under the impression that TCP/IP was an "under the covers" program that would be called by any program needing internet access;
    and as there is one IOCS program for accessing HD, so there would be 1 TCP/IP program.

but you seem to be saying that each program would have its own tcp/ip stack ?

and would there be a way to do as safe mode does, and force them all to use the win7 stack ?

perhaps you could tell me where I can gain a deeper understanding of the TCP/IP & winsock process.

or how about this: if I uninstall Firefox, and then re-install it, would that correct the problem for Firefox ?

thanks,

Vern

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I just uninstalled firefox, then reinstalled it, and it still gives 'unable to connect'.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    anyone around interested in helpnig me solve this problem ?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Did you verify that all of the programs you migrated from XP were Windows 7 compatible?

Newer programs generally do not "mess" with the TCP/IP stack. Older XP era programs sometimes updated TCP/IP elements or changed settings.

Joe
    Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast