Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Win 7 64 system that is connected via a wireless network (2Wire, ATT) to DSL. The connection works fine, but I have two connections that show up in the networks tab of the task manager: Wireless Network Connection (connected and active) and Wireless Network Connection 2 (shown as disconnected). This doesn't cause a performance problem, but it is an irritation and takes up space in the task manager. How can I get rid of this unused wireless connection? I have had Win XP systems that show multiple "disconnected" wireless connections, so windows really seems to like to create these, and keep them, even when not used. How can I remove this so I don't see it any more?

David

Thanks
    Hi David,

Just right click on the one you want to remove, choose remove, and it will be removed.

To do this, go to Network and Sharing Center in Control Panel, and click on Manage Wireless Networks on the left hand panel. You will then see all wireless networks listed and can remove any you desire.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, but I see only one network in the Network and Sharing center - and I most certainly do not want to remove the active network. It's the disconnected (inactive) network that I see in the Networks Tab in Task Manager. See the attached image.

David[attachment=88570:Wireless Networks Tab.PNG]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    What other connections show under Task Manager? Mine shows one wireless - connected, one Local Area Connection - disconnected, and one Bluetooth Network Connection - disconnected.

I've never seen an extra one in Task Manager like yours shows - like a ghost. You might check the software firewall you use to see if it set up the second wireless network that Task Manager has picked up on. Other than that, I do not know how it is present in Task Manager, unless there is an orphaned registry setting reporting it.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David J Redfearn View Post
    I have a Win 7 64 system that is connected via a wireless network (2Wire, ATT) to DSL. The connection works fine, but I have two connections that show up in the networks tab of the task manager: Wireless Network Connection (connected and active) and Wireless Network Connection 2 (shown as disconnected). This doesn't cause a performance problem, but it is an irritation and takes up space in the task manager. How can I get rid of this unused wireless connection? I have had Win XP systems that show multiple "disconnected" wireless connections, so windows really seems to like to create these, and keep them, even when not used. How can I remove this so I don't see it any more?

David

David, you don't mention what kind of system you have, so .... stupid question first ... do you possibly have more than one network adapter?
    My desktop's motherboard has 2 onboard NIC's, I currently use only 1 of them but both show up in Task Manager.
    My laptop has a wireless adapter and a NIC and both of them show up in Task Manager regardless of which is connected.
    If I plug in my USB Wireless adapter in either machine that will show up as well ...
    Task manager looks for activity on any adapter present, not if you have other networks configured.
    The only way I know of to prevent this from occurring is to disable the extra adapter(s) in either Device Manager or the BIOS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Only one wireless adapter (and an Ethernet adapter, of course), but this references "Wireless Connection 2". The Task Manager Networking tab shows the Ethernet ("Local Area Connection") as disconnects, as I do not have a cable plugged in. I only used that network while I set up the wireless card. Windows is remembering some incomplete wireless setup, but I don't know when that occurred. The system is a new Dell that I purchased without a wireless card - I bought and installed the adapter later.

David

Thanks
    David, I assume your Dell is a desktop, as all new laptops come equipped now with a wireless adapter.

If you installed any software other than the driver that came with your wireless card to manage its connections, you might want to uninstall the software so Windows can manage your wireless connection without any possible interference with the 3rd party software. Plus, if you installed any software for managing wireless that came with your DSL 2Wire modem/router, I would uninstall that as well and just allow Windows to set up your connection. It should be as simple as entering your wireless encryption passkey when you click to connect (assuming you have set up a wireless security protocol such as WPA or WPA-2).
    Deadeye81

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I wonder if anyone has any more ideas about this.

I let it go for a while, but have tried to fix this again.

I completely uninstalled all driver software for the D-Link wireless card. Looking in the Task Manager, I can see one (and one only) network connection - for the built-in ethernet connection. Then, I installed the D-Link software (updated, from their support site), and it installed fine. Then, I could see two (and only two) network connections: ethernet (unconnected) and wireless (connected). I thought that was it. But, after rebooting, the extra wireless network shows up again - though now it is called Wireless Network 3 (instead of Wireless Network 2 - which it used to say). Again, I have three networks showing in Task Manager: ethernet (unconnected), wireless (connected) and wireless 3 (unconnected).

I tried again. I removed all the driver software (Task Manager shows one network), connected my ethernet connection, and let Windows search for drivers, which it found and installed. Guess what? Again, I have three networks showing in Task Manager.

My guess is that this is a problem with Windows, and not with the D-Link drivers.

This is weird, but not a major problem, as it doesn't seem to impair performance. Any ideas about this?

My system is a Dell Studio XPS 7000 and I am running Win7/64 Home Premium.

David

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 1,058 Posts
    Have you had a look at your devices, in Device Manager? I could almost bet you will find two wireless adapters...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, your sorta right - I only see one (hardware) wireless adapter, but I also see a "Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter #3". I have no idea what that is - but the "#3" makes me think this is the problem. I do have an option when I right-click on this to disable or uninstall - but not sure what that will do to my connectivity.

David

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I disabled the Miniport in Device Manager, and it seems to stick after a reboot. I have no idea what this is - did a quick Google search, and this appears to be a "future feature" of Windows 7. Doesn't seem to make a difference if I turn it off.

David

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 1,058 Posts
    Yes, disabling it is the way to go and it won't bother you again. The miniport showing there is surely a consequence of the installation of your wireless card driver.

I'm glad you have accomplished what you wanted .

New Lounger
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing > Change Adapter Settings > Right Click on the one you wan to get rid of and chose "Disable". I did this while watching the Network tab in the Task Manager and Poof - it went away. Repeat until the ones you want are left.