Thanks
    Finally updated to SP3, and every single time I've booted up since then, the machine hangs at the windows splash screen and won't go any further.

If I push the reboot button and click <Start normally> it goes fine from there.

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks so much.
    ~grannym

"She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined.
    She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot."

--Mark Twain

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M Jay View Post
    Finally updated to SP3, and every single time I've booted up since then, the machine hangs at the windows splash screen and won't go any further.

If I push the reboot button and click <Start normally> it goes fine from there.

Any ideas, anyone?
    How long have you let it sit at the splash screen?

Will it boot into safe mode successfully?

Have you used a tool such as Autoruns for Windows to see what is loading when you boot the system? Use the Logon tab to see what most users should be interested in.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    I've let it on the splash screen for up to 20 minutes or more, and still no movement.

Haven't tried safe mode as it always works on the 'start normally' option when I get to that page so didn't see the point of trying anything up the cahin. Is there some reason I should?

Don't know the Autoruns program, so haven't tried anything like that. If I do, is there anything specific I should be looking for as far as what might be missing or what shouldn't be there?

Thanks Joe
    ~grannym

"She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined.

--Mark Twain

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M Jay View Post
    I've let it on the splash screen for up to 20 minutes or more, and still no movement.

Haven't tried safe mode as it always works on the 'start normally' option when I get to that page so didn't see the point of trying anything up the cahin. Is there some reason I should?

Don't know the Autoruns program, so haven't tried anything like that. If I do, is there anything specific I should be looking for as far as what might be missing or what shouldn't be there?
    Safe mode boots only load a minimal set of drivers. If the PC boots in safe mode it probably means you need to update a driver.

Look at the Logon tab. If you are confused by what you see post a screenshot of the Logon tab. Someone here can help interpret it.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    just wondering M Jay, how did your get XP SP3?

if you got SP3 from Windows Update and have problems with it, you could try downloading and installing the full SP3 package from here.

it's much larger than the WU version but I had no problems afterwards using the full standalone SP3 package to update XP to SP3 level.

Thanks
    Hi Noel:

Thanks - I did get it from WU.

I'll try the site you recommended and see what happens there.
    ~grannym

--Mark Twain