New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have used versions of Word since 2000: 2000; XP and 2003. I have not tried 2007 but the versions I have tried are a pain in the neck. There are some applications for which MS Word is superior but not many. I prefer Corel Word Perfect. It is easy to create headers, footers and even to use fractional spacing. When copying from web pages, OCR'D PDF's Word documents, etc., there is a feature which allows one to paste unformatted text. Thus, the pasted text will match the formatting of the destination document. No application, however, is perfect. Nonetheless for all of my legal documents and letters I prefer the Corel product.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure the purpose of your post other than to illustrate that in 10 years you have not bothered to learn to use Word. H&Fs are easy to create and manage in Word, just as it is able to use 'fractional spacing' and Paste in Plain Text (with options to keep source formatting, merge formatting, plain Text or use Detination Styles).

WP and Word use totally different approaches and you need to learn either for them to get the best out of them. See

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/WordVsWordPerfect.htm
    http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/RevealCodes.htm
    http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/TipsAndGotchas.htm

Terry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I miss that "F11" revelation of all the formatting. Right now I joined in the lounge, hoping someone has found a Microsoft equivalent. I have been unable to find it using "Help" of course, or any other way. There is a task pane for seeing all the formatting in previous editions, but I haven't been able to find it in 2007.

If you're a user of both, perhaps you can enlighten me.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura Mezirka View Post
    I miss that "F11" revelation of all the formatting. Right now I joined in the lounge, hoping someone has found a Microsoft equivalent. I have been unable to find it using "Help" of course, or any other way. There is a task pane for seeing all the formatting in previous editions, but I haven't been able to find it in 2007.

If you're a user of both, perhaps you can enlighten me.
    The reveal pane is still there, just harder to find. Formatting pane > Style inspector > Reveal formatting. Or Shft+F1. Or add it to the QAT (Right click in a blank toolbar area > Customize the QAT. In the Choose commands from dropdown, select All commands. In the box below select Reveal formatting > Add.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shibley View Post
    I have used versions of Word since 2000: 2000; XP and 2003. I have not tried 2007 but the versions I have tried are a pain in the neck. There are some applications for which MS Word is superior but not many. I prefer Corel Word Perfect. It is easy to create headers, footers and even to use fractional spacing. When copying from web pages, OCR'D PDF's Word documents, etc., there is a feature which allows one to paste unformatted text. Thus, the pasted text will match the formatting of the destination document. No application, however, is perfect. Nonetheless for all of my legal documents and letters I prefer the Corel product.
    I agree with you: no word processor is all things to all people. So much depends on the types of documents the user is creating, how it must be formatted, what the user must do to the documents, and the user's temperament.

I was dragged kicking and screaming to Word, and for many years after, I said that I preferred Word Perfect. It's now been 6 years since I used WP for personal documents and 15 since I used it for business. If I were to switch back, I know that I would sorely miss Word's implementation of templates, styles, including table styles, and Unicode. Just as I still miss WP's ease of use or greater capabilities in areas like headers and footers, document navigation, and master documents. Perhaps, though, after a few years of retirement, I'll think something simpler tool like Google Docs is perfect.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    We can argue about lots of things in Word versus WordPerfect. The biggest advantage of WordPerfect, as far as I am concerned, is the way formatting is controlled, made visible, and is search and replaceable. And the ease of doing paragraph numbering in technical documents is included. I use Word only because my company forces me to. Otherwise, there is almost no MicroSoft software I would use.
    Mark Unhjem (whio has been using computers and software since 1965).