New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm having problems designing images used as backgrounds to fit the 21" - 25" monitors.

When most screen resolutions were in the 800x600 or 1024x768 range, I never noticed any problems with the default tiling properties, but now the larger screens are repeating my 1024 x 768 images both horizontally and vertically. This becomes a difficulty, especially when I do any image-mapping with links.

How can I get a "universal" size that fits all monitors? This has become a critical issue for me with a couple of new clients' web sites, and I would appreciate an emailed answer in addition to whatever interest this might generate in the Lounge.

Thanks
    The simple answer is that you can't, since the common screen formats are 16:10 or 16:9 whereas they used to be (more or less) 4:3.
    Have a look at this Wikipedia article on Display Resolution

You might find it useful (XP procedure) to right click on a blank area of desktop, and choose Properties. Select the Desktop tab and choose one of the pictures. Then observe the effect when you choose each of the three possible Positions: Center, Tile or Stretch. That's what can get done to your carefully-crafted picture...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deacon37 View Post
    I'm having problems designing images used as backgrounds to fit the 21" - 25" monitors.

When most screen resolutions were in the 800x600 or 1024x768 range, I never noticed any problems with the default tiling properties, but now the larger screens are repeating my 1024 x 768 images both horizontally and vertically. This becomes a difficulty, especially when I do any image-mapping with links.

How can I get a "universal" size that fits all monitors?
    The CSS specification is being revised to add background image scaling, but this is not yet implemented across the popular browsers.

References:
    CSS3: http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-background...ackground-size
    Mozilla: https://developer.mozilla.org/en/CSS...ackground-size

Until then, I think you are a bit stuck using fixed size images on a complementary background color.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There's another problem with using background images that large: download time and bandwidth usage. A work-around for that can be found in html5 Canvas: program the background image as a javascript procedure. Quick, small in download size, and works in most browsers. Drawback: requires javascript.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you want to stop the background image from tiling you can use "no-repeat" property in your background style. That is, if you use css in your design. Also, with repeat-x or repeat-y you can control your background horizontal or vertical tiling respectively.

So far this too is just another workaround until the newer html5 specifications spread a bit wider.