New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I have a HP 5300c Scanner and also a new computer with Win7 with XP mode installed and active.

My problem is how to get the scanner properly installed. There is no driver update for Win7 but there is an update for XP3.

However, when I plug the scanner into the USB port, the computer simply cannot find it./recognize it.

Can anyone give me some step-by-step installation info so that I may use the old (but very usable) flatbed scanner with my new PC?

Respectfully,

Chuck

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles H Henderson View Post
    Hi,

I have a HP 5300c Scanner and also a new computer with Win7 with XP mode installed and active.

My problem is how to get the scanner properly installed. There is no driver update for Win7 but there is an update for XP3.

However, when I plug the scanner into the USB port, the computer simply cannot find it./recognize it.

Can anyone give me some step-by-step installation info so that I may use the old (but very usable) flatbed scanner with my new PC?

Respectfully,

Chuck

Chuck even beofre I tried using XP mode I woould try re-installing the driver in compatibility mode. To do that right click the installer>properites>compatibility mode>check XP SP3.

Good Luck

Ken J
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you aren't seeing the device in the USB dropdown I'm not sure what to do but the following is from the help menu. You may have to start the installation in XP Mode and then when it gets to the prompt to plug in the USB device, attempt to Attach the device at that time. If XP Mode sees it at that time then it should be no problem for the program to pick up on it and finish the installation. If XP Mode doesn't see it, I dunno.

To redirect a USB device to a virtual machine

Attach the device to the physical computer and turn on the device.

From the virtual machine window, click USB and then click Attach device name. Windows looks for and tries to install the device driver in the guest operating system. You also can install the driver from the Internet or from a CD.

After the driver is installed, you can use the USB device from within the virtual machine the same way as you would on a physical computer. However, USB devices that are connected using these steps are not shared, so they must be released from one operating system to be available for use on the other operating system.

To make the USB device available on the host operating system, release it from the virtual machine. From the virtual machine window, click USB and then click Release device name.

Note
    To redirect a USB device to a virtual application, attach the device and turn it on, right-click the virtual application icon in the task bar of the host, and then click Manage USB devices. Then, choose the device.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the Advice. : - )

I tried both methods. The software would install, but the PC could not find the driver. Odd.

Regards,

Chuck

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sounds like you may need to pay really close attention to pathways as its installing, something seems to be getting misdirected and you may need to locate the correct place for windows to look for whatever its missing or can't find.

I haven't tried it myself, but I know people who have gotten old USB XP driver scanners working just fine in XP mode so I know it works.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Go to http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...275&taskId=115

There you will find that this scanner is NOT support by HP for Windows 7 or even Vista.
    You MAY be able to find a Twain driver that will allow you to use the scanner, but not all of the bells and whistles that the buttons provide.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Dave, : - )

The HP site does provide and XP3 driver for download. Although I have not been able to get it to do so, should the downloaded XP3 not work within the XP Mode in Win7?

Regards,

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    Go to http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...275&taskId=115

There you will find that this scanner is NOT support by HP for Windows 7 or even Vista.
    You MAY be able to find a Twain driver that will allow you to use the scanner, but not all of the bells and whistles that the buttons provide.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have an older but still very serviceable scanner as well, running on Win7 x64 (HP Scanjet 6300C). However, I was not able to find a driver from either Windows or HP. I have been using a third-party program which includes the driver, and it works great! It's actually a terrific scanner interface, with many powerful features: VueScan.

Good luck.

Stuart

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by philosopher1104 View Post
    I have an older but still very serviceable scanner as well, running on Win7 x64 (HP Scanjet 6300C). However, I was not able to find a driver from either Windows or HP. I have been using a third-party program which includes the driver, and it works great! It's actually a terrific scanner interface, with many powerful features: VueScan.

Good luck.

Stuart

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Stuart. : - ) Your suggestion worked. Which Version of VueScan do you use, the Standard the the Enhanced?