Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Frieder View Post
    With regard to the picture formatting: A big limitation of having unprotected sections in an otherwise protected document, is that many of Word's usual functions are disabled, even in the unprotected sections. It looks like most of the picture formatting functions fall into this category.
    You can work around these limitations using VBA code, but not if you can't associate VBA code with the document's attached template, which is the case if I understand your situation right.
    Yes, no code unless it's Normal code...

Working within the user interface, I can't see any way to change the text wrapping options. A clunky but still available way to change the picture size is to click once to select the picture, and then manually grab and drag one of the selection handles to resize the picture.
    Not even Click On Picture is available...

With regard to the limitation of having code in Normal.dot, and having to use Normal.dot as the basis for new documents, like Jefferson said, that is an odd situation, and really a terrible limitation to have imposed on you by a third party. It's not unusual for third-party software to put code into Normal.dot (since Normal.dot functions as a built-in global add-in template, any code in Normal.dot is always available to any/all documents when using Word), but to force all documents to be based on Normal is pretty awful - that would mean that you can't use any other templates, not just custom ones, but also any other templates that come out of the box with Word. Hard to understand why Goldmine sees that as a technical necessity.

Gary
    See previous comment re: Silo thinking, current version DLL's... etc.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If they've moved from DDE to DLLs you may have a hope with the new version.

Gary

Lounger
    Thanks
    If they've moved from DDE to DLLs you may have a hope with the new version.

Gary
    I will post update once I get version 8.5 installed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After thinking about my results, I believe the process used by GM is:

Launch template file
    Create Doc file from template (usual Word process)
    Process all 'instant' code (this is why my AutoNew() code ran)
    Explicit Attach Normal.dot to the Doc file.
    Process all GM specific code (field merge to insert GM data; i.e., Company, Address, Contact, etc.)
    Release Doc control to user.

This scenario expains why some of my code worked (Add & Save Quote - executed as part of AutoNew)
    and other code didn't (Change directory, OnClick, OnExit, etc - dependent on parent .Dot file)

Later this week I will go through my intended VB operations, clean up and annotate actions and post for the benefit of Loungers.

Lots of useful form code in one exemplar:
    Use of bookmarks in form automation
    Generate and insert incrementing serial number
    Set and reset default directory path for this one document
    Use ButtonControl to initiate action.
    Use protection on a section by section basis to allow user input
    Turn off screen "flickering" during form update

J

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12