Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    158
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I had a Vista system with Outlook 2007, Business Contact Manager and SQL Server 2005. A few weeks ago the BCM stopped functioning. With the help of Microsoft I installed the latest version of SQL Server Express and we finally got things working again. Then Vista itself suddenly caused the system to unexpectedly shut down. This happened several times, and under Vista the BCM is not working (again). At this point I decided it was time to just move to Windows 7 and start all over again clean. The installation and updates of Win 7 and Office 2007 have all gone without problem. Same with SQL Express 2005. I can start Outlook and BCM, and BCM will quite happily creat a new database. So I know that the necessary SQL services are running properly. copied the old MSSmallBusiness.MDF file to the correct location on the Win7 disk, but BCM does not see the file. I have tried using the various tools that are available, as well as just renaming the file to one that was being seen, but nothing seems to work. Also, as there is no MSSMallBusiness.BAK (did not know this utility was there) I can not import the MDF file. Also, the file import options only allow the import of .BCM files, which I also do not have. Can anyone help me with this, and possibly explain to me what exactly the problem is? I do not know anything about SQL or SQL Server, so if I need to run any kind of a script, please explain in detail what I should be doing and what results I should be seeing.

    Thanks in advance!!

  2. #2
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    158
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The resolution to this problem appears to be multistage. To begin, I needed to get BCM working, even with an empty new database, on the Vista pc. The way I did this was to first remove BCM (via the control panel), and then removed everything associated with SQL Express 2005. Reboot. Reinstall BCM, but do not start Outlook. Reinstall the latest version of SQL Express 2005 with SP2 or 3. Reboot. Now you may start Outlook and follow the wizzard to set up BCM. An empty database will be created in the map Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Busniness Contact Manager. It is very handy to have the Windows Explorer open while you do this, so that you can see what is going on. Now came the really hard part, BCM+SQL refused to see the old database file, named MSSmallBusiness.MDF. At this point I uninstalled BCM and the SQL Express 2005 again, since I knew for sure that I could get them both working. Reboot. There appear to be two parts in the next phase. Again, I reinstalled BCM and then SQL Express 2005, but did not start either. First, under the properties of the SQL server you may have to play around with the account that it uses when opening the server service. Sometimes it appears to work better with a local account, and at other times I had more luck with a network account (the only other option on the security menu), but here the name of the account was left blank. Secondly, it seems as if there was something wrong with the permissions to use the MDF file. It took a little bit of trying, but I finally was able to give Everyone full control. Once these two problems were resolved, I rebooted the Vista system, and lo and behold, when I now started Outlook and BCM it immediately recognized my old database file.

    The next step was to get this data over to the new Win7 system. Here there is a gotcha that I did not know about. Since Outlook+BCM was now working, I went through the BCM menu, used the database tools, and created a backup file. I did this twice, saving them in different locations just to be safe. I now restarted my Win7 system, and wanted to restore the backup I had just made. No such luck. It appears that the database can only be opened with the instance of BCM that created it. Also, I could not import the data, as the import utility only wants to files with the BCM extension. Restarted the Vista system, started Outlook+BCM, and this time I did an EXPORT of the database (the export utility is under the file menu). Exporting did not take very long, the database was just over 900Mb. Again, I saved the BCM-file in multiple locations. Restarted Win7, Outlook+BCM, and IMPORTED the old data. It takes a lot longer to import than it did to export, but I got everything back. And just to play it safe, I again made backups and exports on the Win7 machine. This will not happen to me again!

  3. #3
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Evergreen, CO, USA
    Posts
    6,623
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 60 Times in 60 Posts
    Thanks for giving us the steps you had to go thought. Not alot of us use BCM, but if you do and decide to upgrade to Win7 things are likely to get interesting it appears.
    Wendell

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •