Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    A blast from the past question! I'm not sure this is the correct forum or even if you can help, given this is truly a MS Office lounge, but ... here goes.

I'm trying to access from floppy disks program files created in 1997. Thanks to earlier lounge help, I now have an external floppy drive, but I'd forgotten we used WordPerfect's office suite of programs then. The .doc files open in Word well enough to work with (text intact; formatting not), but I can't open the overheads created with what used to be called Draw, but had a different name by 1997. PowerPoint 2007 won't do it. Its help suggested checking the files in Windows Explorer to see if another program was suggested, but nothing was.

Can anyone help me with this one? Or suggest where I can go for help. We have dozens of "overhead masters" we need to convert to PowerPoint and being able to access them instead of retyping them would save hours!

Many thanks for any suggestions or advice you can offer - as always!

Hopefully,

Linda

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Not sure this is the best long term solution, but I did find (on the Corel web site) a trial version of their latest suite. I've downloaded it and am able to open the old files. Although the exact formatting is a bit jumbled, the text is there. I don't seem to be able to just "copy and paste" into PowerPoint, however. I'll try playing around with it some more. Perhaps creating the new slides in the trial Presentation slide program and saving it in ppt could work.

Any other suggestions?

Again,

Linda

Thanks
    This article suggests that Open Office can open WP file types. Might be worth a try?
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion, John. Will check it out to see if it will open Presentation files as well so I have a way of continuing once the trial is over.

Linda