New Lounger
    Thanks
    My apologies if this question is answered elsewhere. If so, I just didn't know what search terms to use. Also in the discussion below I am aware of grouping. I deliberately have groupings turned off because I want to be able to go to a specific window I have active without having to pull down a list and search for it.

I have a challenge, regarding the taskbar. I have the taskbar at the top of the screen for consistency sake, so regardless of the OS I'm using, frequently used applications are at the top of the screen.

[attachment=88597:windows_desktop_minus_one.jpg]
    I've customized the taskbar, by adding a folder (Cn at the left), and adding shortcuts to the folder for the different programs I use. By tricky maneuvering of the separator, I've managed to display the programs horizontally instead of grouped to the left or the right. The same thing can be done using the launcher instead of a separate folder. I have locked the taskbar, because frankly it is a pain to get it to display horizontally and once I've got it there, I want to keep it. Using a folder makes it easy to add programs, by simply dropping shortcuts in the folder, without unlocking the taskbar.
    Now, when I start opening program windows, they show up in the second line on the taskbar.

[attachment=88598:windows_desktop_1.jpg]
    This makes it easy to switch from one window to another as I work. I know which item to select, because earlier opened windows are to the left and later ones to the right. This works fine, until I get up to 20 windows open, then I get a scroll bar on the second line.

[attachment=88599:windows_desktop_2.jpg]
    Suddenly only the last couple of windows are visible. To get to one of my earlier windows, I need to use the scroll bar and scroll up a line.

[attachment=88600:windows_desktop_3.jpg]
    I can't see all the windows I have open. Ah you say, there is a simple solution. Simply unlock the taskbar and pull it down so it will display three rows and all your windows will be visible. I told you there was a challenge. I wouldn't be posting here if the solution was so simple.

[attachment=88601:windows_bar_4.jpg]

For some reason I've yet to discover, the top line is the one that gets resized, and the bottom one with my open windows on it is still only one line high with the scroll bar at the right. It doesn't matter how many shortcuts I have in the folder. It doesn't matter how big I make the taskbar. I can pull it down to cover half the screen. It doesn't matter if I use the launcher instead of adding the folder via the custom option. This is on Windows XP, SP2. If there was a fix for this with SP3, then this question is resolved, and I will take your word for it. But I really don't understand why the line with the fixed number of objects on it is expanded, and the line with the variable number of objects get stuck with the scroll bar, limiting usefulness.

The goal is to have all the icons visible for all active windows, so a simple single click will bring me to any window I desire. How do I do this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Try putting your toolbar on the bottom

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Godwin1 View Post
    Try putting your toolbar on the bottom
    I will try your suggestion of moving the taskbar to the bottom of the screen to see what happens. However if that is the only fix, then it really defeats the purpose of being able to move the taskbar to whichever edge the user wishes.

I was hoping that with all the years of Windows experience that is available at this site, someone knew of something like a possible registry value that controlled the size of the launcher that could be used to force it to remain a fixed size, while allowing the space allocated for active windows to expand.

As I mentioned, I have the taskbar at the top of the screen for consistency sake, so regardless of the OS I'm using, frequently used applications are at the top of the screen. In addition, this makes the windows performance more consistent with the way most applications behave with the controls of the applications at the top of the screen. It makes no sense to me to go to the top of the screen for everything, except when I need to switch applications, then I need to go to the bottom. If there is no fix, then I will simply live with the 19 window limitation.