New Lounger
    Thanks
    When you edit a word 2007 document that has been sent to you which uses fonts that are not installed on your PC you get the message.

This font has not been installed. The closest available font will be printed.

How can I tell which font word is going to use? I'm sure in word 2003 you could display a list of fonts that are not installed on your PC and them tell word which font to use.

Thanks

Moz

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, it looks as though it picks up the first font in the list.

The word document that I received used the font 'Congress Sans' which is not installed on my PC, but it looks like it is now using the font 'Agency FB' although it is still displaying Congress Sans in the font window.

I was hoping that I could select the font I wanted to use instead of Congress Sans which is not installed, I'm sure this happened in an earlier version of word.

Any comments

Thanks

Moz

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can change the typeface to any of the ones you have installed simply by selecting the text and choosing the typeface. Is there something stopping you from doing this in this case?

You can control the font substitution on your machine if you want to send the file back to someone who does have the original font. Go into your options and look for font substitution. In Word 2007 this is in Advanced>Show document content.

Here is an old article that gives you some background information on font substitution.
    http://www.melbpc.org.au/pcupdate/23...0article10.htm
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Andrew,

Yes, selecting the text and changing the font is no problem, I was just trying to find the font substitution window, I couldn't find it anywhere, thanks for showing me where it is.

Kind regards

Moz

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for this discussion. I have had Word 2007 since fall of 2008 and recently updated from Adobe Acrobat Pro v.8 to ver. 9.

I've always made PDFs using the Adobe print driver, but recently I was asked why I didn't use the PDF maker so automatic bookmarks could be created.

Although PDFs were fine (I thought) using the print driver, the PDFs created with the PDF Maker changed the Arial, Bold, 14 pt. Heading 2 to a different font (MyriadPro-Regular). I've been searching through all kinds of forums to find out why the PDF Maker would change the font. I found others with the same problem, but did not find this solution.

When I checked Advanced/Show document content/Font substitution in my Word template, I found that "Arial Bold" was being substituted for by "default." When I changed the substitute font to "Arial," and convert permanently/ for all (or something like that, I can't remember the exact dialog), PDFs (using PDF Maker) created from Word documents based on this template had the right font for Heading 2. I don't know where "Arial Bold" came from, especially for only one heading style, but as I traced back, it's been that way back to templates from Word 2003. So this was an old problem, only exposed by PDF Maker.

I still don't know why there was a difference between the Adobe print driver and the PDF maker.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    PDFMaker actually runs a series of macros over the Word document to add hidden Postscript tags in the Word document that allow the hyperlinks and bookmarks to be created in the PDF output. That is why the PDFMaker asks you to save the document before you run the code (so when it is finished, the modified file can be closed and the starting version is reopened).
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I just figured out how Arial Bold became part of my template, and thought others might be interested. I'm using Word 2007. It also happens in Word 2003.

If you select a style containing Arial, Bold, and choose "modify style," a dialog appears.

In the middle is a listing of Formatting choices, with the font name, font size, B, I, U buttons and color. If you make your font settings here, everything is ok. If you go to the "Formatting" drop down in the lower left of the dialog, however, and choose "Font" then choose a different font size perhaps, or even don't make a change, as long as you say "ok" watch the style in the middle dialog change to Arial Bold. If you fix it in the middle dialog back to Arial, it will stick. You can make changes to the paragraph settings in the drop down and it won't affect the font...it's only when the font dialog in the dropdown is used and you click ok that this happens.

I've had co-workers check this, and the same thing happens to them. I'd like someone else to test this too.

THANKS

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When I checked Advanced/Show document content/Font substitution in my Word template, I found that "Arial Bold" was being substituted for by "default."

After five hours of struggling with Adobe 9 font substitution while using Word 7's "create PDF" (to preserve the cross references)--this advice finally solved my problem. Time's New Roman was being substituted for Arial in my Headings 1 through 9.

IMO, the "Preferences" settings under the Word Adobe tab don't do anything. I got no result from them no matter what inputs I tried.