New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm thinking of upgrading my PC's motherboard, memory and processor. Unfortunately I've spent months getting my current installation of W7 exactly as I like it. Is there any way of using the existing HD installation after doing an upgrade. I know that files and settings can be transferred from an older computer and also that drivers will have to be changed. I will also have to pay Microsoft to 'install' W7 on what is effectively a new computer. I'm willing to do this if it will avoid a completely new installation. What I really need is for my 'new' computer to be the same as the 'old' one.
    I'd be very grateful for comments.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If I understand you correctly your are upgrading an existing PC. Most likely you can use the Windows 7 DVD and repair your current installation after the upgrade without worrying about Microsoft. But, you should be prepared for problems and perform a system backup before starting. If you have difficulty authenticating Windows 7 a phone call to Microsoft should not be a big deal.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    First of all, you need to make sure that you have a RETAIL version of Windows 7. If it is an OEM version, then installing a new motherboard/processor/RAM is considered a new PC and you will not be able to activate Windows.

As JoeP has said, you should be able to run Setup and choose Repair to get your current disk to run with the new hardware. I've not had any experience doing this with Windows 7, but with previous versions of Windows, there is no guarantee that there may be legacy driver problems because although running Reopir should install all the correct drivers, the old drivers and relevant registry entries are not removed.

So be prepared to the eventuality that you may have to do a clean install.

Terry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert Jones View Post
    I'm thinking of upgrading my PC's motherboard, memory and processor. Unfortunately I've spent months getting my current installation of W7 exactly as I like it. Is there any way of using the existing HD installation after doing an upgrade. I know that files and settings can be transferred from an older computer and also that drivers will have to be changed. I will also have to pay Microsoft to 'install' W7 on what is effectively a new computer. I'm willing to do this if it will avoid a completely new installation. What I really need is for my 'new' computer to be the same as the 'old' one.
    I'd be very grateful for comments.
    That would be like installing an existing copy of your Windows 7 disk on a new computer.
    I know I've done it with XP with no issue whatsoever, but Windows 7 may be different.
    I'd call them prior to the build and get as much info as possible. Particularly, inquire about volume license. You'll have to decide whether it's worth the effort or not.
    Like Terry says, you'll likely not be able to do it with an OEM disk.

You may be able to save your windows 7 settings to a DVD/CD disk and selectively reorganize them in the newly purchased copy of W7 on your new build.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks very much for comments. I suspect that it would be better to do a clean install on my 'new' system because of issues with drivers etc. Obviously I can rescue my files and settings from the old system. However, I now realise that my existing Windows 7 is an OEM version and can't be used on an upgraded system. So that rather settles that idea! More money.....!