2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

PATCH WATCH

Oracle releases Java patch earlier than expected

By Susan Bradley

If you thought your Java was fully brewed with last week's patch, guess again.

After two security researchers revealed a new vulnerability in Oracle's Java app, the company quickly sent out a surprise update.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2010/04/22/06 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Last edited by revia; 2011-01-20 at 16:00.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This patch also brings back the browser toolbar dilemma. Although Java 6 Update 19 did not offer a toolbar, Update 20 tried to push a Yahoo toolbar onto my system. (See Figure 1.) Others have reported attempts to add the Bing toolbar — and over in the UK, no toolbar was offered at all.
    Susan,

I've applied the latest Java patch from the Update tab of the Java applet in Control Panel, and have not seen any toolbar offer this time. I use Firefox as my default browser (I have IE8 also) on a Windows XP SP3 system that started out with HP OEM Win XP SP2. I'm in the DFW area in Texas.

Cheers, Jochen