2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

PERIMETER SCAN

Custom boot CDs help fix Windows disasters

By Ryan Russell

What do you do when your PC won't load Windows — or it loads, but you're locked out?

Panic is the first thing that comes to mind. But a better alternative is to create custom boot CDs to access your files and recover lost passwords.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2010/04/22/05 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Last edited by revia; 2011-01-19 at 19:18.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    A seeming no-Windows disaster easily solved:
    I've found recently that Windows would not start, but I am shown a blank black screen with a flashing cursor.
    However, if I remove my Orange broadband dongle that I left plugged in to the USB port last night, I can restart OK.
    All the best, David

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have often used the 'ultimate Boot CD' or UBCD. It has many useful tools including a password reset program.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Colquhoun View Post
    I have often used the 'ultimate Boot CD' or UBCD. It has many useful tools including a password reset program.
    If you have a Windows Disk, you can make a UBCD4Win boot disk, which will boot to Windows from the CD. It has multiple programs including a password reset. You don't have to use Linux command line to do things. You have file management available, and can reset your registry if machine won't boot to Windows. I downloaded the BackTrack program mentioned in the article, and I think that UBCD4Win is much better.