New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm trying to figure out either how to do this or the best workaround that will approximate it most closely:

I'm wanting to:
    A) remove the "power/sleep" button from the start menu, OR
    B) re-assign that somehow to "log off" or "restart"
    for all my users.

I'm rather frustrated by users accidentally locking their computer rather than logging off, or hitting the wrong button and going into sleep mode when I'm trying to push updates.

I would prefer not to have to force users to the "classic" start menu.

Obviously Windows 7 would fix this little issue, but deploying Windows 7 is not an option at this time.

One option I am considering is pushing shortcut buttons w/ icons on the start menu for Log Off and Restart, but that does not eliminate the issue of "Well, that's where the shutdown menu used to be, so I'll click that!"

Any better solutions?

Thanks

Thanks
    I'm not sure this is what you are asking about or not. Hope it helps.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted,

I'd run across that before in my googling, but on closer read-through and testing it does give me some partial solutions.

I was kinda hoping someone had a reliable and simple method for doing what Microsoft apparently chose not to do, so I could set up a Log Off button in the right and proper location rather than that side menu, or at least splitting the "remove and prevent access to..." Group Policy functionality so that I can block Sleep and Hibernate commands without blocking Restart (I can pretty much deal with them doing a full shutdown by setting BIOS-level 'auto on time', but that doesn't seem to help with sleep/hibernate).

I think that the closest I'm going to get to what I want, is to set up Log Off and Restart shortcuts (and maybe a Shutdown shortcut), pin them to the Public start menu, and once that propagates, set the "remove and prevent access to shut down, restart, sleep, and hibernate commands" for my users.

Thanks
    One possible solution would be to create desktop shortcuts to restart, shutdown or logoff. Here or here are a possible solutions. I created shortcut by right clicking on the desktop select new and selecting Create Shortcut. You can then create the shortcut to the 3 actions here. When you tell the people in the office to use these shortcuts rather than the Start button, this may help to solve your problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy