Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a new Dell laptop that I really do want to switch to Windows 7. I am not switching because I don't like Vista because I really do. I am switching because it is a 64 bit vista on the laptop and the very important program I have to run using this laptop will not run on 64bit OS.
    My question to you would be W7 home premium or professional. All my OSs have been pro because I like the remote features that pro offers as compared to the others. I do a lot of remote desktop and like the feature.
    So, what do you all recommend? Let's hear it guys. Thanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
    I have a new Dell laptop that I really do want to switch to Windows 7. I am not switching because I don't like Vista because I really do. I am switching because it is a 64 bit vista on the laptop and the very important program I have to run using this laptop will not run on 64bit OS.
    My question to you would be W7 home premium or professional. All my OSs have been pro because I like the remote features that pro offers as compared to the others. I do a lot of remote desktop and like the feature.
    So, what do you all recommend? Let's hear it guys. Thanks.

There is very little difference between the two. If I were you I would check the feature set on MS and see if you need the extra ones. I Cant really give you an opinion for I run ultimate, but you will probably be happy with either.

Ken J
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

Thanks
    I would go with Pro since that is what you presently have with Vista. Either way, I believe switching from 64 Bit to 32 Bit will require a clean install. Have you tried checking out Compatability Mode? This may solve your 32 Bit compatability. I would still clean install Win 7 then check on running your program in Compatability Mode. Most 32 Bit apps do work with Win 7 64 Bit system.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sometimes I am pretty stupid and don't quite say what is right On all the computers that I have had that have XP on them they have been pro. On my Vista computer I built 2 years ago I am running Vista Ult. 64bit. On the laptop I just got it was a Vista Home Premium 64bit. I am building a new machine and switching to W7 Pro. It is actually a usb device that will not work with on 64bit. It is an MSC-400 from URC if you are familiar with that. It will not work and they don't have any intention of making it work with 64bit.

Thanks
    Personally I haven't came across 1 program in windows7 64bit that wouldn't run.I've been running windows7 ultimate 64bit.Pretty much since it's been out.In other words,If they make a driver for windows7 for it.It should & most likely run in 64bit mode.Providing you have the hardware to run windows7.Bottom line,I agree with,Ted Myers.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, this is one that won't. I have tried and it won't. I could show you a forum that has a ton of people very mad at URC for not wanting to update their piece of equipment to work with a 64bit OS. It is a nice piece of equipment and really helps out the remote controls they make but it still sucks that they won't make it work in 64bit.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
    Well, this is one that won't. I have tried and it won't. I could show you a forum that has a ton of people very mad at URC for not wanting to update their piece of equipment to work with a 64bit OS. It is a nice piece of equipment and really helps out the remote controls they make but it still sucks that they won't make it work in 64bit.
    If you run Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate, you can install and run XP mode to test the device. XP mode is a 32-bit version of XP Pro SP-3 running in Windows Virtual PC.

Joe
    Joe