New Lounger
    Thanks
    An Acer XP system has a dvd/rw that has suddenly quit reading cds or dvds. There is no error message, all media appears as blank. I replaced the ide burner with a brand new sata dvd burner and it wouldn't read any disks either! Either burner will boot from a bootable cd so it's not a hardware issue. I have followed various threads on google and have deleted the upper and lower filters with regedit but that made no difference. I have scanned for viruses and spyware and 0 were found, very clean system. VLC media player was installed on computer, I uninstalled it and now I get a Access Denied message when I click on the cd. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Reply # 12 in this Lounge thread is my answer to this question. It seems to be the same known Windows XP "CDGone" issue.

http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/ind...owtopic=773914

The problem results from Registry garbage which is sometimes put there by programs or updates. Also, sometimes, a Windows Service which is needed to write to the drive can be switched to "Disabled" by security programs or updates. Exactly what the name of this Service is, varies from one computer to another, so read my post and see if anything rings a bell.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy

Okay I tried the registry addition. No luck. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling that VLC media player since when I uninstalled it the problem changed from the cd looking blank to the access denied message. Now I've discovered that not only is the cd access denied but so is a usb thumbdrive. Any other ideas?