New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is confounding me greatly, and I can't seem to figure it out. I have a home network on Bell High Speed (ADSL). Connected to the network are 3 wired desktops (one with W2K, one with XP Pro and one with XPHome), as well as two wireless laptops (dell latitudes) with XP. Occasionally I use my work laptop on the network.
    I had a DLink 614+ router and the modem was a Speedstream 5200.
    For some time I have been getting a 'stalling' when surfing. No prloblems with connections etc, but intermittently, ANY browser on ANY computer would stall out. Sometimes refreshing rapidly, or restarting the browswer, or using another would clear the problem for a while, it didn't seem to have any specific pattern!
    Thinking that since this seemed to be cross platform and cross program, that it may not be a problem with each computer, I decided that the most likely cause was my router. My ISP had sent me a combined newer Modem/router (speedstream 5520) when I upgraded my speed (which I didn't install as I already had a network running and configured), so I took the plunge and switched them out.
    Unfortunately, I was wrong. Replacing the router/modem did nothing to improve the problem (but did speed up the wireless when it does work).
    Now I am thinking that it may be the ISP??? I have run spybot, Adaware, MRT and Malwarebyte on one of my computers (at least) and it comes out clean.
    All computers have AVG (except one laptop with Avast AV) and all run Zonealarm as the firewall. Athough there is a possibility that all computers are infected on the network, might it be something my ISP is having issues with. Phoning tech support would most likely be fruitless, as they would test the connectiion similar to what I did and report everything is fine..must be my end...can't answer software issues etc.
    Blindly not giving up just yet, I decided to do a tracert to www.google.ca. It reported my first jump to my router, 192.168.2.1 clocked in at <1ms, however to get the ip address up on the screen took several seconds, as did each of the other jumps. The subsequent jumps took anywhere between 5 and 25ms, but each time it traced a line, it took around 10 sec to display the server name.
    Does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you used Task Manager to see if anything is taking over on these systems?

What browser are you using?

Joe

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    here is a little program I use all the time to help trace these kinds of problems.

http://www.pingplotter.com/freeware.html

This basically does a tracert a graphs the results. By default repeats the trace every 15 seconds. When I am troubleshooting I usually set it to 5 seconds. It gives you much credibility with your ISP support when you can tell them that everything is working fine to the third router on their network with IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. You can use this to map how their network is setup and once you know how far they control, you can pretty much tell if they can fix the problem.

One thing,
    Sometimes the problem will be between your router and the first hop on their network. This is not always their problem. If your router is sending malformed packets it will sometimes show up in this hop.

Another tool I use all the time is this:

http://www.colasoft.com/ping_tool/

This tool graphs ping times to whatever targets you set. Once I learn the map of the network leaving my location, I set it to continously ping 3 targets.

the targets are as follows.

1. My router LAN ip address
    2. The first router on my ISP's network. (Hop #2 in tracert)
    3. a stable site on the web such as www.google.com

I leave this run on my task bar all the time. If I have any network problem I can pop it up and tell at a glance where the problem is. If it is not clear I will fire up pingplotter to tell the rest of the story.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks

To answer the browser question, it doesn't matter, the problem is will all of them. I use ie8 on my xp machines (6 on the 2K), the latest firefox and the latest chrome.

Target Name: www.google.com
    IP: 66.249.81.104
    Date/Time: 4/22/2010 7:12:30 PM to 4/22/2010 7:13:28 PM

1 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms N/A 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms [192.168.2.1]
    2 7 ms 8 ms 7 ms 10 ms 8 ms 7 ms N/A 9 ms 7 ms 7 ms 64.230.196.14_lo0_SYMP.net.bell.ca [64.230.197.14]
    3 7 ms 5 ms 6 ms 7 ms 6 ms 11 ms N/A 5 ms 5 ms 5 ms dis4-kitchener06_10-1-5_110.net.bell.ca [64.230.157.13]
    4 6 ms 5 ms 5 ms 6 ms 6 ms 8 ms N/A 7 ms 6 ms 9 ms core4-kitchener06_POS10-0-0.net.bell.ca [64.230.158.133]
    5 12 ms 11 ms 11 ms 12 ms 15 ms 11 ms N/A 14 ms 12 ms 14 ms core4-toronto63_POS9-0-0.net.bell.ca [64.230.147.153]
    6 10 ms 11 ms 57 ms 16 ms 15 ms 11 ms N/A 11 ms 11 ms 18 ms bx4-toronto63_so-1-0-0.net.bell.ca [64.230.160.126]
    7 65 ms 11 ms 14 ms 26 ms 13 ms 11 ms N/A 43 ms 10 ms 15 ms [74.125.48.89]
    8 10 ms 11 ms 10 ms 10 ms 13 ms 10 ms N/A 18 ms 10 ms 17 ms [216.239.47.114]
    9 N/A N/A 26 ms N/A N/A 29 ms N/A 28 ms 26 ms 27 ms [216.239.46.170]
    10 26 ms 22 ms 30 ms 36 ms 24 ms 28 ms N/A 29 ms 24 ms 27 ms [209.85.241.146]
    11 23 ms 23 ms 29 ms 36 ms 42 ms 28 ms N/A 28 ms 23 ms 25 ms lga15s01-in-f104.1e100.net [66.249.81.104]

Ping statistics for www.google.com
    Packets: Sent = 9, Received = 9, Lost = 0 (0.0%)
    Round Trip Times: Minimum = 23ms, Maximum = 42ms, Average = 28ms

Above is a pingplotter text for connecting to google.com. The first hop doesn't seem long. I'll set up the Ping tool and see if I can find anything out.

Thanks

Kurt

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Set up pingplotter and let it run. Set trace times to around 10. You will see no overhead or latency. When you get the problem, pull it up and see what it shows. If the traces are normal there is a good chance you are looking at a DNS server latency issue.

If it was happening on one machine with a single browser, I would suspect an addon in that browser. As it is universal it has to be network based.

It looks like your ISP owns hops 2 through 6. If you find the problem in that range they will probably help you.

If the problem shows up in hop 1 the problem is inside your network.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I just want to say that I've been getting EXACTLY the same problem where my connection stalls every so often for no apparent reason. It's evident in either Firefox or Chrome, and I've been at a loss when it comes to how to diagnose this. I'm on the verge of calling my ISP (O2 in the UK) as they're pretty good at support. Their own connection tool tells me that everything is fine, but I can have several blank tabs just sitting there spinning away waiting for something to happen and I haven't the first clue what is wrong. Then the bottleneck will disappear and everything will get moving again and the web pages will appear. Unless I've just got impatient and closed everything down and only just resisted smashing my computer into small fragments.

I'm on Vista Home Premium up to date, PC Tools firewall and Avira Antivir. I'm tempted to blame the anti-virus, but I have no evidence to back this up. I'll try out some of the suggestions in this thread to see if I can identify what's stopping communications. Is it a DNS thing? I use OpenDNS so my ISP could easily blame me for that. Task manager tells me that nothing is especially hogging resources.
    West Midlands, UK

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just wanted to say that the problem has cleared up for the most part. Thanks to Mercyh and JoeP for their help. I did run the programs selected and the problem was NOT in the first step but several pings deep. I let my ISP know, and although they said there wasn't any reported problem they could find, it did clear up nonetheless.
    K

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    silvatek, you could just have a slow machine - not enough memory? Do you have another machine you can use to test the connection?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    silvatek, you could just have a slow machine - not enough memory? Do you have another machine you can use to test the connection?

cheers, Paul
    My PC is fairly new and fast and has more memory than 32-bit Windows can use. The problem is intermittent and affects any browser. There are so many factors involved - browser, ISP, DNS, HOSTS, antivirus, firewall, Vista - that it's difficult to find out where the sudden bottleneck occurs. I'm going to have to record when these events occur and contact my ISP to see if they have any records that might coincide. I also check the events log every so often to see if anything unusual is happening.

Last time it happened I quickly ran ColaSoft Ping Tool and it showed no problems, which doesn't help.

Thanks Paul.

David

Edit: just pressed Ctrl-H in Chrome for History. It opened a new blank tab and it stayed blank with the whirly thing on the tab. Checked running processes and nothing was hogging the processors so I really do not know what is causing this problem. Closed the tab and pressed Ctrl-H again and it worked fine.
    West Midlands, UK

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    colasoft ping tool gives a high overview.

setup pingplotter and let it run continuously. Then when you get the problem you can just open that window and see where the problem is.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mercyh View Post
    colasoft ping tool gives a high overview.

setup pingplotter and let it run continuously. Then when you get the problem you can just open that window and see where the problem is.
    Colasoft shows no problem when I have the problem. So the problem is with browsers rather than actual connectivity.

Weird.
    West Midlands, UK

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Colasoft pingtool and pingplotter are two different tools. Pingplotter uses tracert which pings EVERY router between you and the target.

IF you are pointing Colasoft at the same website you are having problems loading and Colasoft shows no ping drops, you do have network connectivity to that location.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I'd still be looking at testing another machine to prove it's network or PC related.

cheers, Paul