2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Our company is currently transitioning from Office 2003 to Office 2007. We create complex Word documents based on templates that were created in Word 2003 or before. As we transition, documents have been worked on as .doc's in Compatibility Mode.
    Questions:
    1. What will happen when we use Word 2007 exclusively? Can we open our template (.dot) files and save them as Word 2007 templates? What are the steps for doing that? Or do they have to be re-created? What's the difference between a .dotx and a .dotm?
    2. I am working in Word 2007. Today I tried to create a new multilevel numbering named style in a document run under Compatibility Mode. I was LOST. What are the steps to do that? Or must you be in a .docx file or .dotm file to create such an named style?
    3. Last, but not least, I am PDFing these Compatibility Mode Word documents with Adobe 9 and strange things are happening. Today the resultant PDF file had the header fonts change from Arial, Bold to just Arial (or maybe Calibri; hard to tell) and the shaded colors for the heading change to being darker colors. Over the past few weeks I have had graphics (made in PPT compatibility mode) drop out entirely or in part. These were inserted into Word as copy|paste special|Windows metafile pictures. I have also have had paragraphs of text disappear when the file was PDFed. The space for the text is on the page, but the actual text is missing.

I am trying to stay positive about this change. So far I have gotten over the hump of finding commands and putting them on my quick access toolbar. However, I just do not understand how to control the Word numbering system so it is stable. And the random problems that occur when PDFing are driving me insane!

Any guidance or workarounds to my questions above would be greatly appreciated. Or even advice like, you cannot do it, would be helpful. I feel like I am running in circles.

Thanks in advance,
    Georgette

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Georgette,

A couple of answers:

Once you start working in Word 2007 exclusively, it would be best to use 2007 .dotx and .dotm templates, rather than the old .dot templates. Strictly speaking, .dot templates still work in Word 2007, but doing so blocks you from taking advantage of a number of newer features, such as building blocks.

I'd recommend rebuilding the templates from scratch in 2007, rather than starting with a .dot and saving that as a .dotx or .dotm - the file formats for 2007 are so different from earlier versions, that it's better to start with a true 2007 file format when creating templates for 2007.

The only difference between a .dotx and a .dotm is that a .dotm can contain macros, while a .dotx cannot - this is a distinction that didn't exist in earlier versions of Word, where the .dot was the only option.

The underlying functioning of multilevel numbering hasn't changed much in Word 2007, but the terminology and menus for getting to them have changed in potentially very confusing ways. One starting point would be to do a search here for "multilevel" - that should turn up some recent threads with a lot of good advice on numbering in 2007. Bottom line is that it can be done, but it's even more confusing than in earlier versions!

When saving the PDFs, have you tried using the PDF converter that is now available within Word 2007? - I wonder if this might give different results than Adobe.

Gary

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks for your advice. I shall pass along to those "decision makers" who are working on the transition. So what are building blocks???

I will check out the multilevel posts in the Lounge tomorrow at work. Purchased a Word 2007 book today that may be helpful but am too tired to look at it tonight.

Yes, I did try the PDF converter available within Word 2007 today, but got the same weird font and shading color change happening. Since I have Adobe 9 professional on my system, I wonder if there was some conflict?? One of my colleagues has Office 2003 and Adobe 9 on her system and the PDF was fine. That is why I think that it is the Compatibility Mode in Word 2007 that is messing the PDF file up.

Again, thanks for your insight,
    Georgette

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Sorry I can't offer any more insight on the PDF problem.

Just want to offer a book recommendation: pick up a copy of Advanced Microsoft Office Documents 2007 Edition - Inside Out, by Stephanie Krieger, Microsoft Press 2007. The discussion of numbering and particularly multilevel lists in Word 2007, is the best I've seen - this book is a very worthwhile resource.

Gary

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Will do, thanks
    gg