New Lounger
    Thanks
    If someone could please help verify these points because I bought a new AlienWare PC from Dell and my understanding I was ordering a Single ATI Radeon HD 5970, 2GB GDDR5 video card that would only accommodate one DVI connected monitor so the single monitor would be able to consume the entire 2GB GDDR5. But the card has two DVI connectors which means that it is only using 1024 MB per connection. DELL is trying to convince me that this is a Single ATI Radeon HD 5970, 2GB GDDR5 video card and it will meet my needs.

I keep telling them that a dual connection card is not what I ordered. I wanted a a single DVI connected monitor using 2GB GDDR5.

I contacted AMD to ask about the card, but they have not replied.
    I need some experts help to clarify these points:

Single ATI Radeon HD 5970, 2GB GDDR5 - This card should only have one DVI connector that uses the 2GB of RAM. The Single referring to the number of connectors.

Dual 2GB GDDR5 ATI Radeon HD 5970 CrossfireX Enabled - this card w
    ould have two DVI connectors.

Thanks.
    Regards,
    AhhA

Thanks
    Hi Alan and welcome to the Lounge!

It is normal to find two output connectors on video cards whether one connector is VGA and the other DVI or in your case both DVI. The number of connectors have nothing to do with whether the card is Crossfire capable. Crossfire uses two single cards that are connected to operate cooperatively.

You indeed now have a single video card. If you connect one display to the card, your computer will still utilize the full two megabytes of video memory to the extent that an application places a demand for it. Your card's capability and functionality will not be reduced by half because you are using one display panel. So enjoy your computer, because your video card memory is not divided per output connector.

Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The Radeon HD 5970 is in effect a dual HD 5870: it has dual GPUs and 2GB DDR5 memory. It is crossfire capable but that is irrelevant for you.

When used with a single monitor, GPUs and memory work in parallel to boost performance over the HD 5870 by around 50%. Be assured that all the memory and both GPUs are utilised when used in single monitor mode.

When used with dual monitors, the card will perform similarly to 2 x HD 5870s with a corresponding reduction in performance. When used in crossfire with a second HD 5970, four monitors can be driven.

I'm not sure if your local power station can supply that sort of current to your home though!

Terry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I guess one of the things that was throwing me was this software Dell had me download that detected the card and it's configuration. It displayed basically two cards each running at 1024 MB.

But, I am happy to learn that the one monitor will still utilize all 2GB.

Thanks.
    Al

Regards,
    AhhA