Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    Comcast is my home ISP, and for the last few weeks I've been unable to forward email, with or without attachments, from home to my work email address. I also can't do this from Comcast's web-based email application. I can send a direct message with no problem..it's just forwarded mail that never gets received. My wife also has a Comcast
    account, and she also can't forward email to my work email address. But, she can forward mail to my Comcast account, but she can't receive mail I forward to her. A friend, though, who also has a Comcast, is able to forward to my work account. My email client at home is Thunderbird 2.0.0.24 and at work it's Outlook. My work IT folks insist they're not blocking me and Comcast says they're not doing anything that would account for this. Any ideas?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Sounds very much like your work is blocking your mail. To test this forward an email with a copy to someone else. If the other person receives it but you don't it's your work scanners.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    Sounds very much like your work is blocking your mail. To test this forward an email with a copy to someone else. If the other person receives it but you don't it's your work scanners.

cheers, Paul
    That's what I thought, but 1) it only applies to email I'm forwarding. It accepts mail I send directly. If I was being blocked, wouldn't it also block direct messages? 2) My wife, also on a Comcast account, can't receive my forwarded messages either.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Can you forward to yourself on Comcast?
    Can you perform this on a non Comcast mail account - assuming you have one to test?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I can forward to myself. I don't have any other account to test.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Seems like a Comcast weirdness, can you forward to your friends?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    1. You can send new mail to your work address.
    2. You cannot forward mail to your work address.
    As far as the mail system is concerned there is no difference between new mail or forwarded mail.
    Are you sure you are using the correct email address when forwarding?
    Do others get email you forward if you add multiple addresses - work and friends?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    Yes, I'm using the correct email address when forwarding.
    Others get email I forward to multiple addresses--just not at my work email address.

And here is a new twist. I ordinarily use TBird as my email client, but I also have Outlook installed. If I'm in TBird and forward a message to myself, open it in Outlook and forward from Outlook to my work email address, I get it at the work address. So it seems like it has something to do with TBird?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    With POP3/SMTP via your ISP, the mail client delivers the email to the ISP's smart host - the SMTP address in your client - and the smart host then sends the mail to all recipients. It could be that your ISP does not correctly interpret the addresses in the mail that TB passes. To test this is you either need to set another smart host in TB, or get your ISP to check their logs to see what happened to your mail.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    How do I set another smart host in TB?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    With POP3/SMTP via your ISP, the mail client delivers the email to the ISP's smart host - the SMTP address in your client - and the smart host then sends the mail to all recipients. It could be that your ISP does not correctly interpret the addresses in the mail that TB passes. To test this is you either need to set another smart host in TB, or get your ISP to check their logs to see what happened to your mail.

cheers, Paul
    Here's yet another twist: If I send a message from home using TB to myself, and I use Comcast's web-based email to receive it, and forward it from there to my work email, it doesn't come through. But if I send a message from my work email to my Comcast address, download the message on the Comcast web email, and forward it back to my work email, it comes through.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Definitely a Comcast issue. You need to write down exactly how to replicate it and then send the details to Comcast.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Comcast hasn't been able to figure anything out. Doesn't the fact that I can forward emails via Outlook but not via TB suggest that there's some issue with TB?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Not if using the Comcast web client has the same problem.

cheers, Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast