New Lounger
    Thanks
    I will try to keep the saga short. Over a year ago I purchased two copies of MS Office 2007. Installed and registered them promptly. Recently I started receiving messages on one computer that my copy of Office was not genuine. I purchased both copies through Amazon. These are as legit as they come. I went through the process at Microsoft to identify my software, it visually meets all the requirements of legit software. On their site it explains that if you purchased the software in good faith, and it looks legit, they will replace it free. I went through both the online approach and the 800 number approach. On various occasions I was told that my software was 'pirated', 'an expired license', or the result of 'key generator software'. After many phone calls I was finally told that I qualified for software replacement, but that MS had terminated the program.

So, I have software that I believe is authentic. Amazon is reluctant to take a return on software that is a year and a half old. MS won't provide updates because my software is not genuine, and I get the daily nag that my software is bogus and to purchase new software. I qualify for replacement software (still offered on the MS site) but MS won't provide it, and when I go through the various attempts to find recourse with MS, I am told there is none. MS, who never makes mistakes, has decided the software is not valid. They won't let me send the software to them to prove that it is authentic. Dare I say I feel cheated. How do I appeal the decision that the software I purchased is not genuine?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The VENDOR is responsible for your purchase. As long as you have evidence from Microsoft (an email) stating that the software is pirated, Amazon has no option but to refund or exchange it. The onus is on Amazon to challenge Microsoft over authenticity.

There is no point in blaming Microsoft if someone sold you pirated software.

Terry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Lamouria View Post
    Dare I say I feel cheated. How do I appeal the decision that the software I purchased is not genuine?
    Hmmm, this might be of interest to the writers of Windows Secrets to know that Microsoft's policy on this has changed. Before doing anything drastic like hacking Windows, you might see whether one of them might work on this problem for the newsletter. (Even though I'm a moderator in the Lounge, I actually don't know the best way to bring it to someone's attention, but you could try the "Contact an administrator" link at the bottom of the page.)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you had a pirated copy, you wouldn't have this problem.

Thanks
    Lloyd -

Shoot me mail. Woody at Ask Woody dot com.
    Woody

For Dummies book author, Senior Contributing Editor for InfoWorld, and long-suffering Windows victim. Check out the latest at AskWoody.com.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Pierre Koch View Post
    If you had a pirated copy, you wouldn't have this problem.
    Maybe not this problem, but you'd have a ton of different problems, guaranteed.
    Woody

For Dummies book author, Senior Contributing Editor for InfoWorld, and long-suffering Windows victim. Check out the latest at AskWoody.com.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    You are not alone, and I have a suspicion that it is indeed the fault of MS or some incompatibility in software somewhere. I have legitimate copies of MS software which intermittently come up with the 'non-genuine' icon, but only the icon and 'non-genuine' message. They continue to work normally, I have never been denied access to functionality on any of them that I am aware of, and the non-genuine nonsense vanishes as mysteriously as it appeared. At the very least, I suggest you shut down and perform a cold boot, or something equally routine. But yes, I get the message too, occasionally, and it disappears of its own accord. I haven't even tried to track it.