New Lounger
    Thanks
    I recently switched from Norton Antivirus to Norton 360. I noticed a major slowdown at startup, and discovered there are two instances of the Norton updater program running. I suspect this is the cause of my slow startup, either they are fighting each other for resources or just eating them up, but I have been unable to confirm this. I can't find a way to disable either, and the only advice I've received is to uninstall all Symantec products then reinstall 360 from scratch. I'm reluctant to do this, because last time I uninstalled a subscription based program I had a bear of a time getting the new installation to recognize my existing subscription.

I've tried the Symantec support boards but found no joy. Any help would be appreciated.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Randy :

I switched from Norton to another Antivirus years ago ( Free Avast
    Home Edition ) because of poor performance . The latest
    "Retrospective/proactive" ( the degree of effectiveness of keeping
    malware OFF a computer ) testing done by the Independent
    Researchers at www.av-comparatives.org had the following :

1) Norton - 36% & an Advanced Certification level
    2) McAfee - 47% & a Standard Certification level
    3) Avast - 53% & an Advanced Plus Certification level
    4) Avira - 74% & an Advanced Certification level
    5) NOD32 - 60% & an Advanced Plus Certification level
    6) Kaspersky - 64% & an Advanced Plus Certification level
    7) MSE - 56% & an Advanced Plus Certification level
    8) GData - 66% & an Advanced Plus Certification level

All of these seem to perform better than Norton !?
    Perhaps you should consider switching ?
    For Paid AV, I recommend NOD32 and for FREE, I recommend Avast
    Home Edition, primarily because both have excellent Online
    Support Forums . IF you do switch, you will have to use the
    "Norton Removal Tool" as part of the process .
    For the BEST in what counts in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

Thanks
    I would hate to say anything bad about Norton in this forum because in the past , when I did I was lambasted by folks who love it. I was a Norton devotee for many years through several versions, all of which I paid for. I finally got fed up with the resource hog and dumped it even though I had over a year left in my contract, and have never looked back. I currently use MS Security Essentials which is a FREE AV and AM app from the "evil empire". I love it. It runs quietly in the back groud and works suprisingly well. Try it and let us know what you think.

As far as your original question, perhaps someone that still uses Norton, anyone???, could tell you how to stop one instance since Symantec can't seem to help.

For those of you that love McAfee read some of these posts about their latest snafu which will be felt for weeks. I think this points out one of the problems with suites, that is they attempt to do too much and don't do any one thing very well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I can't find a way to disable either, and the only advice I've received is to uninstall all Symantec products then reinstall 360 from scratch. I'm reluctant to do this, because last time I uninstalled a subscription based program I had a bear of a time getting the new installation to recognize my existing subscription.
    I'm asuming that you had uninstalled the previous Norton Antivirus prior to installing the Norton 360,
    as opposed to having two instances of the same 360 updater program?

Attempting to disable it through MSconfig or Autoruns would be merely a band aid solution.

The advice given to you to uninstall all Symantec products then reinstall 360 from scratch, is good advice.
    Perhaps you could focus on the task of subscription validation prior to the reinstalltion task.
    Entering a product key if I'm not mistaken? Confirm that you have the right key?
    What problems have you had with existing subscription recognition?

Symantec should be able to provide support for your issue, especially if you had just owned up to a new version/product.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    I'm asuming that you had uninstalled the previous Norton Antivirus prior to installing the Norton 360,
    as opposed to having two instances of the same 360 updater program?

Attempting to disable it through MSconfig or Autoruns would be merely a band aid solution.

The advice given to you to uninstall all Symantec products then reinstall 360 from scratch, is good advice.
    Perhaps you could focus on the task of subscription validation prior to the reinstalltion task.
    Entering a product key if I'm not mistaken? Confirm that you have the right key?
    What problems have you had with existing subscription recognition?

Symantec should be able to provide support for your issue, especially if you had just owned up to a new version/product.

This involves the other problem I always seemed to have with Symantec. Their support was always difficult to get to. The online support always sent you through several levels of questioning that ultimately did not solve the original problem. It also sounds as though one of the original problems with Norton is still present. The app hates to give up and uninstall. It's uninstall routine was terrible, even using Symantec's removal tool. To completely uninstall Norton I would now resort to a 3rd party uninstaller such as Revi Uninstaller in an attempt to completely remove all the leftover junk left behind by the Symantec uninstaller and remover. Once all traces are gone, try the reinstall and see if this solves your problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy