New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I have a Windows 7 laptop and a Vista desktop on a HOME network both hardwired into a router

The workgroup name is the same on both devices

The Vista desktop has full access to the files of the Win 7 laptop.

The Win 7 laptop can see the Vista desktop but can not see files or acess the drive - I am told "Windows cannot access \\XXXXX" when I click on it. The message box shows and error code 0x80070035 - the network path can not be found.

The drive of the Vista desktop is fully shared - passwords are not used.

After a few hours of trying to rsolve this I am appealing to Experts of the Lounge

Help please,

Thanks

Preston

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston R Smith View Post
    Hi,

I have a Windows 7 laptop and a Vista desktop on a HOME network both hardwired into a router

The workgroup name is the same on both devices

The Vista desktop has full access to the files of the Win 7 laptop.

The Win 7 laptop can see the Vista desktop but can not see files or acess the drive - I am told "Windows cannot access \\XXXXX" when I click on it. The message box shows and error code 0x80070035 - the network path can not be found.

The drive of the Vista desktop is fully shared - passwords are not used.

After a few hours of trying to rsolve this I am appealing to Experts of the Lounge

Help please,

Thanks

Preston
    Hi preston and welcome

You wouldnt by chance be running "homegroup"? On some mixed systems homegroup has connectivity issues. YOu can verify if this is the problem yourself by creating a new network connection using the "workgroup" model. Workgroup uses IPv4 and does suffer the same issues as Homegroup.

Good luck

Ken J
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ken, hello.

You wouldnt by chance be running "homegroup"? On some mixed systems homegroup has connectivity issues. YOu can verify if this is the problem yourself by creating a new network connection using the "workgroup" model. Workgroup uses IPv4 and does suffer the same issues as Homegroup.

I also found that 7 is a bit fussy, I had to set a Pasword on it as it demanded one, from the client XPP to 7 as sever. Can you confirm this at all ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ken and Jean,

Thank you for your suggestions.

I overcame the problem. On both devices, the 'Routing and Remote Access" service was not operating. Started it up and everything works well

I found the solution about the same time I received your reply - for the life of me I can not remember where I found the solution. Old age I guess

Thanks again,

Preston