New Lounger
    Thanks
    Could really do with some help on this problem.

Security center will not start, when i try to start it in services i get this: Windows could not start the Security Center service on Local Computer.

Error 5: Access is denied. Any ideas?
    [attachment=88625:secserv.PNG]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    L R Martin

Thanks
    Are your Remote Procedure Call (RPC) & Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) services set to automatic?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have the same exact problem which started this thread. I found the thread doing a "search." Both of my services mentioned by Clint are already set to "automatic." Are there any further suggestions to resolve this issue?

Thanks,
    Dick Y

Thanks
    I'm assuming that yourself and the OP is running with full admin rights?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Clint:

"I'm assuming that yourself and the OP is running with full admin rights?
    "

I am. How do I make sure the OP is?

Dick

Thanks
    In a thread on Microsoft's forums, this related article on registry key permissions was suggested:Some services do not start in Windows Vista. Does that help?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jsher2000:

I went to the link and followed the suggested process:
    for WSCSV I changed the permissions to "full control/read" as suggested, and rebooted - no joy. After checking with services.msc, the security center has still not started; and when I try to start it I get the same error message.

Dick

Thanks
    Have you ruled out any viral/malware infection?
    This is begining to look suspicious for this sort of thing.

I would also try this if not already:
    Windows 7 - SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've already run SFC (run as administrator) which came back totally OK. I've also run MSSE, Malwarebytes, and Superantispyware; and all found nothing.

I'm beginning to think it might be best to just reinstall W7.

Dick

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick-Y View Post
    I've already run SFC (run as administrator) which came back totally OK. I've also run MSSE, Malwarebytes, and Superantispyware; and all found nothing.

I'm beginning to think it might be best to just reinstall W7.

Dick

Dick,

Did you make an image of your OS before the problems started. If so, it is a fairly simple matter of recoverying to that image. Load the System Recovery Disk or System Installation disk, reboot and when presented with the options, choose to reinstall (I do not remember the exact terminology used at the moment) from a previously recorded image. In less than an hour you will be back to where the OS was when the image was created.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted:
    Thanks for the reply. I used such an image, but the problem must have been latent from a while back - because it was still there after restoring from the image.
    I re-installed W7 after that, to start cleanly. Of course, my Security Center issue is now gone.

I'm an "amateur" computer hobbyisy who loves to tinker. So, I've installed/uninstalled Comodo, MSSE, and other security apps. Doing so, I've also used CCleaner and Revouninstaller; and I think I've been doing registry "cleaning" too loosely.

Lessons learned for me, and possibly for anyone else reading this:
    Create and save a clean image file right after W7 installation.
    Continue to use CCleaner and Revo - but leave the registry alone.

If anyone disagrees, or has additional "lessons learned" to keep W7 running smoothly, please chime in.
    Thanks,
    Dick

Thanks
    Glad the reinstall worked, and yes do the image on a good OS right after installation and then after you have customized and set the OS up the way you want it. Then after each big change, or once per month thereafter. That way you will always be able to get back close to where you were when you do something crazy (We all do, as I state in another thread, I call mine Senior Moments because what insulation I have remaining on the roof is turning very grey.)

By the way, I do agressively clean up my registry with CCleaner and have never had a problem. I use Revo or Absolute Uninstaller and let them get rid of everything they find, then use CCleaner to check for more. However, each system is different and each person will have different results. That's why I image, because at some point in time I will hose my OS again and have to use the image.

Again, glad the reinstall worked. Have fun trying different things. That's part of the fun with our personal systems!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

If anyone disagrees, or has additional "lessons learned" to keep W7 running smoothly, please chime in.
    I agree with part and disagree with part. Creating an system image immediately after installing Windows 7 is a good idea. I would've recommended that you install all Windows 7 patches before creating the image but you can create another. Then you should install your base security software, application programs, and all patches. After which, do not make any more changes and run your system for a few days to make sure it is stable and then make another image. That way you'll save yourself much time if you need to get back to "base", "perfect" state for your system.

I know Ccleaner & Revo are very popular among Loungers. I could not tell you the last time I used Ccleaner. I find it just as easy to clean out the system myself and I have total control over what happens. I've only had to use Revo once or twice in caring for many systems and don't see the need to use it unless there is a major problem. Even when I used Revo I still had a lot of manual cleanup to do. Why have all these extra applications installed if you don't need them? I think that if you want to try different software and tinker you are much better off using VM software. Then if you decide you want to keep whatever you've tested you can install it outside the VM in your main OS.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I recommend that you keep more backup images than just the "Windows clean install". I keep four other backup images - two monthly and two quarterly:

[attachment=89190:Acronis backups 07-2010.jpg]

The reason for doing this is that "stuff happens" - EVERY machine on my network gets hit with some sort of registry corruption. And it happens about once each quarter. By having these backups for each computer, it is pretty easy to recover to a working state.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)