Thread: Outlook 2010

Lounger
    Thanks
    With Office 2010 coming soon, I'm considering if I should spend the BIG bucks to move from Office 2007 Pro to 2010 Pro. Being frugal (I am a Senior on fixed income) If I bought Office 2007 Student/Teacher I can get the applications I use most - Word, Excel, Powerpoint but not Outlook, then I can get the free update to 2010 Student/Teacher. Alas I would not have Outlook which would be a hard pill to swallow. I could go to Live Mail, but know I would be unhappy. How about the following idea. I could get the 2007 Office Student/Teacher and wait to the last moment to install it and qualify for the free Office 2010 Student/Teacher upgrade. Then I could uninstall Office 2007 and do a custom reinstall of Outlook 2007 only (I think you can uninstall everything but Outlook, but I haven't ever tried that on any single Office component). Finally I would install the downloaded Office 2010 Student/Teacher and, keeping my fingers crossed see if I could run Outlook 2007. Can anyone tell me if this is a pipe dream?
    Don Plorde

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Do you have any compelling reason for wanting to upgrade to 2010? There are some nice improvements in some of the User Interface areas, but unless you are working with SharePoint, or some of the more esoteric new things, or you hate a particular part of 2007, I wouldn't rush into it. Just one person's opinion from another senior...
    Wendell

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WendellB View Post
    Do you have any compelling reason for wanting to upgrade to 2010? There are some nice improvements in some of the User Interface areas, but unless you are working with SharePoint, or some of the more esoteric new things, or you hate a particular part of 2007, I wouldn't rush into it. Just one person's opinion from another senior...
    What you suggest is certainly a valid comment. I have yet to do a close comparison from reviews that others have written.. The appeal of the "full" ribbon in Outlook 2010 may not offer me that much as my understanding is that only those using Outlook in a business-like environment will benefit. I sure do like the partial ribbon interface when reading messages in Outlook 2007. That's an argument for just staying with Office 2007 and forgetting about the gaining further functionality in the other Office components. I must confess that a) I am a sucker for new versions of software - not consistent with being on a fixed income as a retiree; 2) I use Word, Excel, and Powerpoint frequently, but I don't use a lot of the more esoteric functionality. Thanks "for bringing me back to earth."
    Don Plorde