temuchen

Office 97 -> XP Migration info?? (97 & XP)

Within the next few months, our company will be adopting Office XP as their new corporate standard applications suite. Formerly, the official standard (i.e. what was loaded on the "standard build" from Client Services) was Lotus SmartSuite 3.1 (yup, no typo). Several of the subsidiaries (mine included) used MS Office 97 as their standard, having adopted it prior to our acquisition. My question is, where would be the best place to look for information regarding migration issues--file compatibility, macro translation, etc.--both for users coming from the 16-bit Lotus suite and for those moving from 97? I looked on the MS site, but either I could not divine the appropriate search terms or there is a dearth of the information I require on the site. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Scott

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Office 97 -> XP Migration info?? (97 & XP)

All Office97 documents (except Access databases) are compatible with OfficeXP applications. All documents created by 16-bit programs must be converted (make sure appropriate converters are been installed). As far as I know, it's no possibility to save settings on Office97 applications and restore them on OfficeXP ones. I think all Office97 macros (except Access) will work in OfficeXP - you need to save them as text - and none of Lotus/WordPerfect macros.
    Microsoft no longer support Office97, probably that's why you couldn't find any information.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I'd suggest purchasing the MSFT PRess Office XP Resource Kit book.

Also, a book on each relevant appp such as the MSFT Press Word 2002 Inside Out or Specical Edition Using Word 2002.

Office 97 macros were based on VBA 5.
    Office 2000 on VBA 6.
    Office 2002 on VBA 6.3.

There's also plenty of info in the July 2001 MSDN Library distribution, if your company gets that.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

That's very wrong.
    You should not save VBA macros as text.
    For example, Word 2002 will open Word 97 template files.

In any case, saving as text, you'd lose all the Userforms.