2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok so I have obtained a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate from my school and I am attempting to install it now. Because I am running Windows XP x32 because my school did not offer the 64 bit version I am doing a clean install of Win7. So I go through the boot from disc process and it will get to the point of where it says "Starting Windows" and then it will lock up. Every once in a while it will come up to the blue and green screen where I, at this point, assume I get to chose how I want to install the software. Now I have done some research into the matter and have found several possible ways to get it past this point they are as follows:

Disable USB 2.0 controller in the bios.
    Disable USB controller all together in the bios and unplug everything accept monitor and use a PS/2 keyboard and mouse to navigate the screens
    Disable the SLI control in bios (problem here is my board does not have an on board video option)

I have not checked to see if there is a BIOS update yet because I have not had time, but I am posting here wondering if anyone else has seen this issue or has had this problem what did you do to fix it? Or if anyone else has an idea on what could cause this I am open to suggestions. I have run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor and I am good to go for 64 bit version with no issues. Let me know what you all think.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If I read you well, you are attempting to load a 64-bit OS over a 32-bit CPU ????

Nogo !

Thanks
    Check to ensure your motherboard is capable of supporting Windows 7.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Hi Night,

When you said you were doing a clean install, were you referring to the Custom Install that the upgrade version Win7 DVD offers? Did you receive a full retail Windows 7 DVD or an upgrade DVD? A reformat of the XP partition would be in order if you have a full retail package, but a Custom Install is the way to go if you have the upgrade Windows 7 package. It is essentially a clean install, but moves all of your XP installation to a folder named Windows.old, which you can delete once you have moved any files from it to your new Win7 install.

I would go ahead and update your BIOS, as well as any new chipset drivers or others that are offered to make your board more stable with Windows 7. That might be all you need for a successful install if you choose the Custom Install. I found out my desktop motherboard, at three years old, was not to be supported by Intel to be fully compatible with Windows 7, and my computer passed the Windows Upgrade Advisor as well. Intel did release a Windows 7 64 bit chipset driver update, and a couple of other updates, including a BIOS update. However, even after installing all of these, I still have some startup issues from time to time, which require a reboot, but it is worth it to me.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am relatively sure that my mobo is capable of running windows 7 but I will double check with ASUS. And no I am not running a 32 bit CPU. I have a 64 bit CPU otherwise I would not even attempt to install a 64 bit version of windows 7. I will update the BIOS on my CPU as well as see if there are any updates to my AMD chipset that I might need. I will let you know where this gets me. Still if anyone has other ideas I would like to here them. This is frustrating. Though I am thinking about doing a full rebuild here sometime soon.