New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all,
    Recently changed from landline broadband to wireless broadband and have since then my fairly new (less than a year old) Dell Inspiron pc has been locking up. Have to use the power button to reboot every time, I don't like doing this. Lockups only happen when using the wireless modem, also have wireless mouse and keyboard but have tested with hard wired replacements, still having lockups.
    Has anyone had this problem, if so how did you cure it?
    Would very much appreciate any advice that will help....

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Have you checked for updated drivers for the wireless modem?
    Check the modem manufacturers site for other suggestions.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Hi Grumpy Too, and welcome to the Lounge!

Along with Paul's suggestion to upgrade the wireless driver, have you disconnected from the wireless setup and tried the Ethernet connection since the lockups started? If not, try that to see if the lockups go away or continue. If the lockups continue when using the wired connection then the wireless may not be the source of the problem.

If the lockups stop when you test with the wired connection, and updated wireless drivers do not remedy the problem, uninstall any wireless network management software that you may have installed when you switched to wireless. Most wireless cards come with software for setting up and managing wireless connections, but sometimes the software can cause conflicts. I have seen occasions that removing such software and allowing Windows to manage the wireless network can solve some problems.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    If the lockups stop when you test with the wired connection, and updated wireless drivers do not remedy the problem, uninstall any wireless network management software that you may have installed when you switched to wireless. Most wireless cards come with software for setting up and managing wireless connections, but sometimes the software can cause conflicts. I have seen occasions that removing such software and allowing Windows to manage the wireless network can solve some problems.

Hi Grumpy Too, I would like to add my welcome as well!

When I switched to my Linksys 610N wireless router, I first tried the linksys software. I had so many problems getting my wired and 2 wireless laptops to talk with each other, that I gave up. The built in networking on Win 7 worked great for me. Because all my PCs have been upgraded to Win 7, I used homegroup and just flew through the setup. Prior to this I had another desktop with XP which I have subsequently given to my granddaughter, which although not set up with homegroup did work more effectively with the native MS S/W than with the Linksys S/W.

I guess in conclusion if one setup does not work properly, ditch it and try the other.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy