2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

Not sure of the problem here. At home I have an ASUS P5QL motherboard running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit with 6 GB Ram. When I'm using the computer, it's great. Problem is when I go away for a bit.

I always turn off my monitor. When I come back after an hour or two, I turn the monitor back on, but the computer doesn't seem to wake up. No amount of mousing or keyboarding will wake it, whether I've left it running while logged in or logged off. I don't believe this is a monitor problem as this has happened with two different monitors, and one of them never did this on my older XP computer. I'm not using Sleep or Hibernate mode - I either log off, or lock the computer, or just leave it as is for an hour or two while I do other things. When I come back, I can't wake it up, and am forced to turn it off and then back on to use it.

I now close all work before leaving my desk for more than 30 minutes so that I'm not forced to kill the power with documents and files open - I'd like to stop doing this. The system is pretty new - so far I've only added MS Office 2010 and Norton IS 2010; no other serious software. Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

Thanks
    Check through your advanced power and bios settings.
    Windows 7 by default has sleep and Hibernation enabled. The act of turning these off may have fudged something.

S0 (Working) is lit. The CPU functions in entirety; the conservation of power is on a basis of by-device.

S1 (Sleep). The CPU is stopped; The RAM is regenerated; the system functions in reduced power.

S2 (Sleep 2) The CPU does not have any power; The RAM is regenerated; the system is in lower mode of the S1.

S3 (Standby) The CPU does not have any power; The RAM regenerates at minimum; the power supply unit is in mode of reduced power. This mode is also called “Save to RAM”.

S4 (Hibernate). All is powered off, but the memory was saved like temporary file on the hard drive. This mode is called “Save to disk”.

S5 (Off) Everything is shutdown. Means you need a full reboot.

S3 is the best. It uses less power and reboots faster.
    Or you may have simply limited yourself to just an "on", and timed "off" state.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Firstly, modern LCD monitors use less than 1 Watt when the computer 'turns off the display': so don't bother to switch it off.

Then see what happens if you just leave your computer with the monitor left switched on. Follow Clint's advice about checking BIOS settings and then delve into the advanced power saving settings.

My normal practise is to disable all the power save functions except the 'Turn Off Display' option, which I set to 10 minutes. When I leave the computer for any length of time, I use the Sleep button on my keyboard.

Terry