Thread: Loading Java

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am installing my software on a new laptop with 64 bit win-7. I noticed there is no java, how do I install it? Do I need separate versions for the 32 an 64 bit programs. Later I plan to download the windows XP mode, will that require a separate installation?

Thanks
    Just install the 32 Bit version for now. The 64 Bit version is not ready for prime time yet. Remember that whenever a new version of Java comes out you will have to manually uninstall the old and download and install the new.

There is a site, for the life of me the name escapes me, which has a list of many of the commonly installed programs in one spot. Another reader will remember the name.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Just install the 32 Bit version for now. The 64 Bit version is not ready for prime time yet. Remember that whenever a new version of Java comes out you will have to manually uninstall the old and download and install the new.

There is a site, for the life of me the name escapes me, which has a list of many of the commonly installed programs in one spot. Another reader will remember the name.
    Once again, with the latest version of Java it is not necessary to uninstall the old version. The new installation will remove the old as part of the process.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Once again, with the latest version of Java it is not necessary to uninstall the old version. The new installation will remove the old as part of the process.

Joe
    If this is the case then mine did not install correctly because version 20 of the Java Runtime did NOT uninstall version 18. I had to do this manually just as I have always had to do with Java. I believe this is one of the shortfalls of Java, that old, less secure versions are left in place when a new version is installed. Perhaps Sun is attempting to change this behavior but it did not work with my installation of V20
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If this is the case then mine did not install correctly because version 20 of the Java Runtime did NOT uninstall version 18. I had to do this manually just as I have always had to do with Java. I believe this is one of the shortfalls of Java, that old, less secure versions are left in place when a new version is installed. Perhaps Sun is attempting to change this behavior but it did not work with my installation of V20
    On a couple dozen systems where I've installed Java, since version 6 the prior build of version 6 have been uninstalled when the latest version has been installed. Perhaps you have some other issue on your system.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You could always try Secunia Psi. this if run in advance mode will tell you if you still have any old versions of java installed. Plus many other things.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Curiousclive View Post
    You could always try Secunia Psi. this if run in advance mode will tell you if you still have any old versions of java installed. Plus many other things.
    I know very well how to check for older versions, thanks. As I stated above my belief is that even though Sun may be trying to be more proactive in having new installs automatically uninstall older versions, this does not always work properly. Because of this I believe the best course is , yes install the updated version for security reasons, but yes also manually uninstall the older versions. I do this regularly.

The other thing that is perplexing with Java, if you check for updates through the Java Console, I had V18, the console states that no newer versions were available even though there obviously was a newer version 20 available which I subsequently downloaded and installed, after uninstalling V18 manually of course.

I guess a final comment is that although Sun seems to be trying when updating they are still far from perfect.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted