3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using IE8 on Windows 7, and for quite some time now have had to RElog onto various places even though I keep marking such places to "remember" my log in. It is not a major problem, I have always been able to log back in easily enough, but it is getting aggrevating and VERY FRUSTRATING having to log back so much. Typically, it seems to take two or three days before it "forgets" the log in info that it is told to remember, but I cannot vouch for the absolute accuracy of that time period if matters.

In thinking about this, it almost sounds to me like maybe the cookies are set to expire after a period of time but that is entirely a guess because I have nothing but my aging memory to rely on there. I am willing to plead guilty to having unwittingly set somerthing to do this at some point, but if I did I do not know what it could be, and thus cannot change it back again. If anyone out there has any ideas or suggestions on this, I would be most grateful hearing them and thank you in advance for anything you may have to offer.

David E. Cann

Thanks
    Do you run any type of utility (e.g. CCleaner, etc) that is clearing your cookies? Most sites do not have cookies that expire after a few days.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Thanks
    Check through your browser's settings, something may be configured to remove cookies on every exit of the browser.
    If you have file cleaning programs or suits, some configurations may also be deleting browser cache and cookies.

IE in it's default mode shouldn't do this.

You should be able to add sites in the "privacy" section under "sites" that you deem safe.
    You can also add sites in the "Trusted Sites" section of IE's "security" tab.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Do you run any type of utility (e.g. CCleaner, etc) that is clearing your cookies? Most sites do not have cookies that expire after a few days.

Yes, I do use such a utility on occasion, but nowhere near as often as the occurrances of lost logins. For the very reason you mentioned, I've purposely been very careful NOT TO disturb the cookies when I do run it, so I just do not think that is the problem.

David E. Cann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    Check through your browser's settings, something may be configured to remove cookies on every exit of the browser.
    If you have file cleaning programs or suits, some configurations may also be deleting browser cache and cookies.

IE in it's default mode shouldn't do this.

You should be able to add sites in the "privacy" section under "sites" that you deem safe.
    You can also add sites in the "Trusted Sites" section of IE's "security" tab.

I've already checked the settings in IE (multiple times), but without specific information on just what to check for I am unable to make any changes. I've reset them to "default" settings as well, but the problem has alway returned over time. :-(

David E. Cann

Thanks
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't understand your reply or what you are saying here. :-( Could you elaborate a bit?

David E. Cann

Thanks
    Ummmm . . . . . I think he is asking you to look at the sites he mentioned to see if there might be a possible solution to your problem?
    John

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Ummmm . . . . . I think he is asking you to look at the sites he mentioned to see if there might be a possible solution to your problem?

Ummmmm, I did just that and see no solution. . . only others seeking help as confused as I am. <sigh>

David E. Cann

Thanks
    "Ummmmm, I did just that and see no solution. . . "

Well then, I'll leave this up to someone else to offer suggestions. Sorry that you can't seem to find (or won't try) any of the obvious "solutions" on those pages. Good Luck!
    John

Thanks
    Some of the sites I listed offer information with possible "fixes" for some folks, but unfortunately your not among those.

Perhaps you could offer more information on your specific setup;

The use of browser add-on software.
    Preconfigued browser security features, or more complicated browser security settings.
    Information on software that you have installed that could possibly be causing conflicts with browser cache/cookie or history settings;
    Security suites, antivirus programs, firewalls, Advanced networking configurations.
    Browser cache size settings and length of time "history" is kept in cache.
    How long has this been an issue and what software or security patches/configurations have been installed/made nearest the time the issue appears.

Temporary internet settings, like the "check for newer versions of stored pages". "Automatic" is the default.
    Limiting browser cache size too low can have an effect, as does limiting "days to keep pages in history".
    Experiment with your "cookies" settings; temporarily set cookies to "low", or "alow all cookies" in the privacy settings.
    close the browser, reopen and check for changes. Limit your browsing to the sites in question while troublshooting.

There are many ways to troubleshoot, if your unfamiliar you can do a google or bing search on specific areas of IE8 functionality.

As some of the information in the above links say, some sites like banks will not alow storing of user login information.
    This site (Windows Secrets Lounge) would be a good site to use in troubleshooting, as it does alow you to store login information.

As a last resort you may need to reinstall or repair IE 8, hopefully it won't come to that.

I don't know what your level of expertise is, so forgive if I seem patronizing.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Perhaps you could offer more information on your specific setup;

Clint, first of all I thank you for a very informative reply. Hopefully, it won't get to having to try some of them because I do NOT look forward to trying to replace IE8 for example, and quite frankly think if it comes to that point I would almost prefer leaving things as they are before attempting it. . .and maybe wait for an IE9 to accomplish the same thing. In any event, following are quick replies to a few of your individual comments:

1. Preconfigued browser security features, or more complicated browser security settings. -- This one is easy, because I've reset my IE options to "default" so many times in my frustration trying to resolve this annoying issue that it has almost literally become the only way it is ever set any more.

2. The use of browser add-on software. -- Very little really, and consisting primarily of the Google Toolbar, default add-in for my AV/firewall software (McAfee Total Protection), and not a whole lot else that I can think of off the top of my head.

3. Information on software that you have installed that could possibly be causing conflicts with browser cache/cookie or history settings -- I'm not aware of anything that I have that would do that, but on that note I have deleted and redeleted my cookies several times in a frustrated effort, and it has made very little if any noticeable difference in the problem.

4. Browser cache size settings and length of time "history" is kept in cache. -- Again, it is pretty much the default for the reason outlined in #1 above, and coupled with the fact don't know enough about the problem or the specific settings that you mentioned to want to change them from the default.

5. How long has this been an issue and what software or security patches/configurations have been installed/made nearest the time the issue appears. -- Hard to say in any definite terms, since I've just grown used to the problem being there, but it has been awhile. NO CHANGES in software or patches can be tied to the occurrances of the changes though, simply because it (my need to manually log on again) seems to occur pretty regularly on average every couple of days almost like clockwork, which is why it is so frustrating. :-(

6. I don't know what your level of expertise is, so forgive if I seem patronizing. -- I clearly understand your question here, and I am not offended at all. A simple answer to your question is that I am a 67-year-old retiree (USMC and now the business world as well), and proud of my progress at learning to use a computer, and would probably rate myself as an "intermediate" user. Not a complete amateur, but likewise far from being an expert, so I hope that puts things into some perspective. I'd much rather you give too much detail than too little, and I'll never feel "patronized" if you do.

And on a final note, at least for THIS reply, in talking late last night with a friend about this, he seems to feel the problem is or could be the manner in which I have been logging back on when I have to do it every day or two. I use the "auto-complete" feature quite a lot, and according to him that is my problem. Apparently, based on what he tells me, when the auto-complete feature is used to log in to most places, it quite often WILL NOT memorize it, even if you have the option set to do so, and thus the problem I am experiencing is simply the expiration of my log-in doing just what it is designed to do on each location. Therefor, starting last evening I began manually typing in the username and password for each one, ignoring the auto-complete feature trying to do it for me, and I am watching now to see if any of them ask me to sign in again. None have thus far, but it's only been about 14 or 16 hours so I will wait and see if I can still say that a couple of days from now.

That is where I stand as of right now. . .in a "wait and see" mode. If you have any further thoughts or suggestions on the subject, I would sure welcome hearing them. Patience never has been my most noteable trait (I think that goes with being an old Master Sergeant), but since leaving the Marine Corps sometimes you just need to rely more on time and patience than you used to. :-)

David E. Cann

Thanks
    I would offer a suggestion in a different route. I used to rely on IE to store auto logon information but began to feel this was not secure enough. Plus, as you have found, quirky problems can happen. I switched to an encrypted pass word manager called Last Pass. This is a password manager and form filler ala Roboform, but much easier to use in my opinion. You can set Last Pass up to just have to enter a Master password, or br totally automatic, it's your choice. On most sites I choose to have Last Pass log on automatically. Because it is encrypted, this is more secure that the built in log on for both IE and FF, both of which I use. Give it a try, I think you will like it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    You can set Last Pass up to just have to enter a Master password, or br totally automatic, it's your choice. On most sites I choose to have Last Pass log on automatically. Because it is encrypted, this is more secure that the built in log on for both IE and FF, both of which I use.
    I would note that when you use a Master Password in Firefox, your saved passwords are encrypted. That said, LastPass has excellent reviews, and provides secure online storage so your saved passwords are easy to share between work and home. (Assuming that is permitted.)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    I would note that when you use a Master Password in Firefox, your saved passwords are encrypted. That said, LastPass has excellent reviews, and provides secure online storage so your saved passwords are easy to share between work and home. (Assuming that is permitted.)

I do have to admit that I have never used the FF password storage, but still like the other features on Last Pass to such an extent that I do not feel the need to explore this feature in FF. I do like the ability of setting up Last pass on other PC's to access my account from anywhere I want even when using a different PC than mine.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy