Lounger
    Thanks
    A friend of mine asked me why an item of the most frequent used program list on the Start Menu "suddenly" is greyed out. What he is experiencing is concerns his frequent use of the Snipping Tool. It shows up all right on the most frequent list after he uses it, but after using it for a while, it shows up greyed out. It is easily restored by using it again from the "All Programs" option. I was mystified by this and seem to recall something like that happening to me before, but it may not have been with the Snipping Tool. I suggested that he just use the search box on the Start Menu as he could bring up the Snipping Tool almost as fast by typing in "sni" and hitting enter vs. glancing through the recent programs and entering from there. Has anyone else seen this behavior with the Snipping Tool or any other program showed on the recent program list?
    Don Plorde

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Plorde View Post
    A friend of mine asked me why an item of the most frequent used program list on the Start Menu "suddenly" is greyed out. What he is experiencing is concerns his frequent use of the Snipping Tool. It shows up all right on the most frequent list after he uses it, but after using it for a while, it shows up greyed out. It is easily restored by using it again from the "All Programs" option. I was mystified by this and seem to recall something like that happening to me before, but it may not have been with the Snipping Tool. I suggested that he just use the search box on the Start Menu as he could bring up the Snipping Tool almost as fast by typing in "sni" and hitting enter vs. glancing through the recent programs and entering from there. Has anyone else seen this behavior with the Snipping Tool or any other program showed on the recent program list?
    Clarification - the Snipping Tool becomes greyed out after a number of uses of it and not when he has used it for a long time in one given instance.
    Don Plorde

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Plorde View Post
    Clarification - the Snipping Tool becomes greyed out after a number of uses of it and not when he has used it for a long time in one given instance.
    I have no idea why that should happen unfortunately.
    But there might be a better way if he uses it that often. When it is not grayed out right click on the snipping tool in recent list and choose "Pin to Taskbar" .
    Then it only one click away to use and may not freeze up like recent list shortcut.

Hope this helps

Clive
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Is this entry of the snipping tool in the "pinned" area or in the "Recent" programs area of the Start Menu?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    Is this entry of the snipping tool in the "pinned" area or in the "Recent" programs area of the Start Menu?
    It's in the Recent program area.
    Don Plorde

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Curiousclive View Post
    I have no idea why that should happen unfortunately.
    But there might be a better way if he uses it that often. When it is not grayed out right click on the snipping tool in recent list and choose "Pin to Taskbar" .
    Then it only one click away to use and may not freeze up like recent list shortcut.

Hope this helps

Clive
    Good idea! I'll pass this on to him. Thanks!
    Don Plorde

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I do NOT use the Recents for snippy, I have a icon in the "taskbar" and it always works.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.