New Lounger
    Thanks

Arrow

I've had a recurring problem since 'upgrading' to Win7-64 from Vista-64 on an Hp tower.
    On occasion, any shortcut to a network file/folder/drive on my desktop will disappear, along with the shortcut to my DVD drive? I've finally found something on a Windows support thread Thread at a Windows forum that points to the problem being with a 'cleanup' task that Win7 runs every Sunday. However, the only way to stop this strange action is to disable the entire scheduled task. Unfortunately, there's no way to edit the task to see what else it may be doing that may be helpful.
    Anyone know why MS hasn't done anything about this weird behavior? Apparently, it doesn't affect everyone, or else I'd expect a lot more visability of the problem.

Steve

Thanks
    I guess I do not see this as a problem. I shut my laptop down each evening so it is never available at 1 AM on Sunday to run this task. The explanation in the task scheduler is somewhat cryptic. My feeling is that this could always be reactivated (reenabled), I would disable the task for a week or 2 and see if it makes any differencee.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've noticed that Windows 7 checks the network location connection ALL the time, I've gotten hundreds of error messages to date that Windows could not connect to such and such a network location and diagnostics NEVER reveals a solution because the connection was restored probably shortly after it was lost BUT Windows 7 doesn't seem to refresh that connection and even though its there and available, it looks like it isn't and a cleanup utility is going to make the so-called broken links disappear. I think it is a mild faulty logic bug that should be easily fixed (but the folder template bug in Vista seemed easy too so...).

What I do that seems to work is locate the shortcuts safely in a MyNet folder in Documents and then I put a custom toolbar in the taskbar pointing to the MyNet folder...so far so good.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I've turned off the scheduled diagnosis yesterday (after my Icons disappeared yet again) so we'll see what happens next Sunday.
    BTW, my 'fix' it to have a folder on my desktop called Lost Icons. I then copied all the icons that disappear into that folder. When they inevitable disappear again, I just grab the copies out of the folder and put them back on the desktop--then I'm good for another week

From what I'd seen in the Windows Forum (see the link in my first post), this has been in Win7 since it was in Beta--seems like an annoying enough bug that it deserves MS's attention, but to date, it's still there