New Lounger
    Thanks
    The jump list for Microsoft Works Word Processor won't display any recent items. All the other programs show recent items in their jump lists, and if I display Recent Items on the Start menu, Word Processor items show up in that list--just not in the program's own jump list.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.

Thanks
    Hi Eileen,

What version of MS Works do you have installed? Earlier versions of Works would not likely have the "handlers" for utilizing Windows 7 taskbar icon recent lists and jump lists.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Gerald,

I have MS Works version 9.0.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Eileen, I have MS Works 9.0 on my Windows 7 laptop, and when I created two files, both appeared in the recent list when I right clicked the Works Word Processor icon on my taskbar. I had to 'pin' them to make them permanent on the icon's jump list. It works the same way on the Start menu. Files opened with a program like Works Word Processor should show in the recent files listing, but they will not become part of the Start menu's jump list until they are 'pinned'.

You can right click the Start menu orb make sure the Privacy boxes are checkmarked on the Start Menu tab. You can then click on the Customize button, go to the Start menu size, and choose the Number of recent programs to display, as well as the Number of recent items to display in Jump Lists. The fewer number of recent programs you allow to show means that you will see recent items rotate out more quickly. The maximum number of items displayable in the Jump Lists will depend on the number you select for that feature.

If you find all these items in place with sufficient settings and you do not see any Works Word Processor files in the recent list to convert to Jump Lists, then the only things I can think of is to uninstall Works, reboot your computer, and install Works again. Maybe another Lounger has seen this behavior and can further advise you on the matter.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Works 9.0 was released in 2007. That was in the Vista timeframe. If fact Microsoft Works 9 - Works 9: System Requirements does not mention Windows 7.

So, it was not designed to work with Windows 7 & jumplists.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Works 9.0 was released in 2007. That was in the Vista timeframe. If fact Microsoft Works 9 - Works 9: System Requirements does not mention Windows 7.

So, it was not designed to work with Windows 7 & jumplists.

Joe
    Hi Joe,

Works 9 could not have been built to work with Jump lists, just as you point out, but it does work with Jump lists on my Windows 7 Toshiba. I also use MS Office 2003 on two Windows 7 machines, and I am able to pin to Jump lists with that too, both on the Start menu as well as the taskbar icons. It seems odd that it would, but it works as well as Office 2007 does with Jump lists.

I wonder how that could be? Do you think some of the Windows 7 "compatibility updates" may have made this possible? I have seen a few Windows Updates that have mentioned enhanced application compatibility.
    Deadeye81

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Works 9 could not have been built to work with Jump lists, just as you point out, but it does work with Jump lists on my Windows 7 Toshiba. I also use MS Office 2003 on two Windows 7 machines, and I am able to pin to Jump lists with that too, both on the Start menu as well as the taskbar icons. It seems odd that it would, but it works as well as Office 2007 does with Jump lists.

I wonder how that could be? Do you think some of the Windows 7 "compatibility updates" may have made this possible? I have seen a few Windows Updates that have mentioned enhanced application compatibility.
    I have a guess. I think that jumplists are just an extension or different use of MRU (most recently used) lists. If your application uses an MRU a jumplist will likely be populated.

Joe
    Joe