Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks
    I have looked everywhere but cannot find a straight forward answer. I'm hoping to have better luck here. Currently I have a multi boot system with XP, Vista and Win7. I'm not having any problems but would like to remove Vista. I have 3 hard drives. An 150gb raptor drive with XP and Win 7 installed. A 200gb drive that stores all my data and a 180gb drive with Vista installed. In my bios I am booting from disk drive which has Vista installed on it. I tried changing the boot drivr to the Win 7 drive but it would not boot telling me a file was missing. I know I need to change something on the Win 7 drive and then set the bios to boot from it. Can someone give the steps to get this done so that I can remove Vista and be left with dual boot, XP and Win 7 and booting from Win 7 drive. When I say remove it also includes deleting the Vista partition.Thanks for your help, Ralph

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Look in Disk Management, on the drive that has XP and Win7, is there a 102MB partition labelled "System Reserve"? If there is, then you can simply restore the master boot record (MBR) on that disk (and change you BIOS to boot using that disk). See this for restoring the MBR:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4836283_repair-mbr-windows.html

You can also google "windows 7 restore mbr" for other site with similar instructions.

If you do not have that 102MB partition, then the problem gets harder...

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Johnson2191 View Post
    Look in Disk Management, on the drive that has XP and Win7, is there a 102MB partition labelled "System Reserve"? If there is, then you can simply restore the master boot record (MBR) on that disk (and change you BIOS to boot using that disk). See this for restoring the MBR:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4836283_repair-mbr-windows.html

You can also google "windows 7 restore mbr" for other site with similar instructions.

If you do not have that 102MB partition, then the problem gets harder...

Lounger
    Thanks
    I do not have the reserve partition but maybe this additional info will help:

Disk 0 VISTA64 (D Heathy(System,Active,Primary) 64 bit
    Disk1 Apps_Data (E Healthy(Active,Primary)
    Disk2 XP_PRO (F Healthy(Active,Primary) 32 bit
    Disk2 WINDOWS7 (C Healthy(Boot,Page File,Crash Dump,Primay) 64 bit

Can I just do a repair of master boot record on disk 2, change boot sequence in bios to disk2 and then remove Vista?

Thanks, Ralph

Thanks
    This article explains the steps to repair your mbr in both Vista and XP. If you want to remove Vista you would use the XP fix provided. You can also use a 3rd party app such as Easy BCD to accomplish this task. This app seems to get a lot of press in these forums.

To remove the Vista partition while signed on to Win 7 type management in the search box, choose Computer Mamagement, disk management. The disk manager will show all disks presently installed on you various partitions. From here you should be able to delete then format the Vista partition. In your setup it appears this will give you a reformated spare hd. At this point follow the procedure outlined in the included article.

Another alternative would be to use one of the excellent 3rd party partitioning apps available. I use Partition Wizard which is also free.

Good luck and have fun.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted just so I understand. You are suggesting a 2 step process:

1. Fix Vista MBR with XP repair program
    2. Delete vista partition using Win 7 disk manager or with partition wizard ( I also use Partition Wizard)
    No changes required to win 7 mbr? After doing above and I reboot will I be left with XP and win7 dual boot.

Thanks again for your help.

Thanks
    Sorry for the confusion.

The 2 step process would be just the opposite. You would go into disk management from Win 7, or using Partition Wizard, and from there delete the Vista partition. Once you delete the partition, you would reboot your PC. There would be no reason to have to fix the MBR until the deletion is made.

Step 2: Fix MBR using the process outlined above. Once a change at the OS level takes place a fix of the MBR is required or you will never get to the Which OS do you want to boot to screen. I do not believe it makes a difference which MBR repair you use at this point. The article I pointed out included XP and Vista, but I'm sure similar are available for Win 7 as well. That's why many use the 3rd party app such as Easy BCD do this for them. Easy BCD does not care what OS you are attempting your repair from. It just sets up the MBR to allow you to get to the screen that you choose which OS to boot to.

Again, I'm sorry for the confusion. I wrote that early this AM and was obviously not quite awake yet.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, I appreciate your clarification. I've been there myself. It's been so long since I've worked with this stuff it's tough to remember exactly what I did. Just one more question if I may. I've used Easy BCD spariringly. Could you point me in the right direction as to how I do this. Which tab do I select?

Thanks again, Ralph

Thanks
    I have not used Easy BCD. It is an app that many in these forums have used and spoken of. The last time I deleted a partition and had to fix the MBR I followed this method. It seems to work very easily with great results.

My problem is similar to yours. I have done many things over the years that I simply can not seem to remember exactly. Aint getting old a drag.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Forgione View Post
    Ted, I appreciate your clarification. I've been there myself. It's been so long since I've worked with this stuff it's tough to remember exactly what I did. Just one more question if I may. I've used Easy BCD spariringly. Could you point me in the right direction as to how I do this. Which tab do I select?

Thanks again, Ralph
    Ralph,
    Hello, not sure if you managed to repair your "MBR" yet but.... you could use EasyBCD to do the job of your "boot sequence" problem without rebuilding the "MBR". Here's how it could be done. Download EasyBCD Beta2.0 http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBC...A373D85B4BBF5B I think that you need the "beta " for "7" not sure . the link will provide info to the "forum" so you can ask about "7"( you have to register to get the "beta") Once you have it, install and run. You can then setup which system that you want to boot from as your default ...(add remove entries tab) then select the next drive or partition ... so on Entries # 2, #3 #4 , etc. You will also be given a "Timeout Choice" so at boot time if you don't choose which system you want (any one of your entries) BCD will do so as per your timeout,booting the default. If you don't want Vista ... don't put it in the Que then you could delete the partition or the drive that Vista is on, (after you get things setup the way that you want) BCD would then take control of the booting duties BCD will also give the opportunity to backup your present configuration, so nothing to lose. Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Thanks Fred, I've never used Easy BCD so could not recommend proper procedures for it's use to Ralph. The last time I deleted a partition I used Windows MBR repair and that was a while ago. Again thanks for chimming on on this.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Thanks Fred, I've never used Easy BCD so could not recommend proper procedures for it's use to Ralph. The last time I deleted a partition I used Windows MBR repair and that was a while ago. Again thanks for chimming on on this.
    Ted,
    Hello, just wanted to "update" for anyone else who is interested in "EasyBCD". I switched from Vista BootPro because it would not handle my Linux "OS". EasyBCD Beta2 can handle the "Grub2" ( Grand unifying boot loader) that Linux uses. I don't know if Vista Bootpro does Windows 7, but for other windows stuff it works. There is some kind of problem with XP and Vista .. dual boot ..with either of these installing one before the other or something like that .Don't use XP so i don't know ...check the "Neosmart forums" for the answer. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred J Usack View Post
    There is some kind of problem with XP and Vista .. dual boot ..with either of these installing one before the other or something like that .
    The "rule of thumb" for Windows & other Microsoft products is install from the oldest to the newest.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    I did some stuff last night and almost messed up my system I first tried to delete vista partition in disk management but it would not let me do it. So I tried partion wizard and it seemed to do it. Then I couldn't boot into any system. I inserted win 7 disk and booted from there and win7 seemed to recover vista for me and I'm back in business. As I see it the boot records are on Vista. I tried moving these files to Win7 root but could not move all of then because they are being used. I changed the boot drive in bios to boot from win7 disk but got an error that the system32\hal.dll file is either missing or corrupt. So now I'm back to my original seup.The only differece I see now is that win7 partition has the additional status of boot and this status is no longer on the vista drive. I also tried to remove vista as a system with boot manager but couldn't get that to work. I hope this all makes some sense and you can put me on right track. Just a thought. Now that win7 has boot status why can't I boot from win7 disk. Would it work if I delete vista partition, set win 7 to active and try to fix mbr on win7. Can I do this al with Easy bcd. I'm sending alng the latest copy of disk manmagement report in attachment.[attachment=88664:disk management snip.PNG]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    You should be able to make the Win 7 partition as active. This may help with the problem of the MBR seeing Win 7. I also wonder if you can take away the active status of Vista?

You mentioned that Vista is on it's own HD. What happens if you disconnect that HD all together. With Win 7 set as active, EasyBCD should be able to fix the MBR to show XP and Win 7 and allow you to boot into whichever OS you want. Once the MBR is fixed appropriately, you should be able to delete the Vista partition. I've only worked with multi boot systems with 2 OS's installed. Perhaps someone out there with experience on systems with 3 or more OSs can chime in and help.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast