2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In Outlook 2003 SP3 when an Inbox item is unread it appears as bold in the Inbox pane on the right and the Inbox entry in the Folder list on the left is also bold with the number of unreda items in parenthesis. I was wondering what a bolded item in the calendar means? The Calendar entry in the Folder list on the left is bold with a (2) next to it. Does that mean there are 2 calendar entries haven't been read? That expanation doesn't sound right but I don't understand just what it does mean. Through experimentation here is what I am certain is does NOT mean
    1) The calendar item is high priority
    2) The calendar item is in the future

And most importantly, how to I locate in the calendar which 2 items the bold indicator is referring to? I have tried searching through the calendar but have been unable to locate anything. I use the Outlook calendar extensively and trying to locate 2 items that have some special indicator is quite time consuming, especially since I don't know what I am looking for.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dglarson View Post
    In Outlook 2003 SP3 when an Inbox item is unread it appears as bold in the Inbox pane on the right and the Inbox entry in the Folder list on the left is also bold with the number of unread items in parenthesis. I was wondering what a bolded item in the calendar means? The Calendar entry in the Folder list on the left is bold with a (2) next to it. Does that mean there are 2 calendar entries haven't been read? That expanation doesn't sound right but I don't understand just what it does mean. Through experimentation here is what I am certain is does NOT mean
    1) The calendar item is high priority
    2) The calendar item is in the future

And most importantly, how to I locate in the calendar which 2 items the bold indicator is referring to? I have tried searching through the calendar but have been unable to locate anything. I use the Outlook calendar extensively and trying to locate 2 items that have some special indicator is quite time consuming, especially since I don't know what I am looking for.
    Are you referring to the thumbnail calendars on either side of the main Calendar window? The default view bolds all days with meetings within 10 months forward, 2 months back. (Where and how these thumbnails show depends on certain view options and the users screen size and resolution.) Not sure you can change that thumbnail behavior, but other users have complained that the bolding is flaky, and needs to be reset with the command line switch /resetnavpane.

Edit - forgot to respond to your question about finding the corresponding items. If you are referring to the Calendar thumbnail, you can double click the day in the thumbnail and the main Calendar window will jump to that day or week, depending on you window view. To look at all appointments, use a list/table view such as View | Arrange By | Current View | Active Appointments. A list view can be sorted by field, and additional fields added using the Field Chooser if you need to sort on some field not in the default list view.

I sure hope you are referring to the Calendar thumbnail, because if not, my answers are no use.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBF View Post
    Are you referring to the thumbnail calendars on either side of the main Calendar window? The default view bolds all days with meetings within 10 months forward, 2 months back. (Where and how these thumbnails show depends on certain view options and the users screen size and resolution.) Not sure you can change that thumbnail behavior, but other users have complained that the bolding is flaky, and needs to be reset with the command line switch /resetnavpane.

Edit - forgot to respond to your question about finding the corresponding items. If you are referring to the Calendar thumbnail, you can double click the day in the thumbnail and the main Calendar window will jump to that day or week, depending on you window view. To look at all appointments, use a list/table view such as View | Arrange By | Current View | Active Appointments. A list view can be sorted by field, and additional fields added using the Field Chooser if you need to sort on some field not in the default list view.

I sure hope you are referring to the Calendar thumbnail, because if not, my answers are no use.
    No, I am not referring to the Calendar thumbnail. What I am talking about has nothing to do with thumbnails.

So here is a summary restated.
    1) Outlook 2003 SP3 - When it starts up I see 2 windows. 1 window on the left side with the title "Folder List" and 1 window on the right with the title of a folder name. The folder being displayed on the right is the one that is selected on the Folder List on the left.
    2) So on the Folder list on the left side you see all folders. Any folders shown on the left that are mail folders are bolded if and only if they contain mail items that are unread. In addition to the folder name being bolded there is a parenthesis with a number in it just after the folder name. So for example here are folder names you might see on the left pane Folder List

Inbox (23)
    Deleted Items (7)
    Outbox
    Sent Items
    Calendar

So in this example the Inbox contains 23 unread items and the Deleted Items folder contains 7 unread items. In the case of the Inbox if I go to that folder and read all 23 items, the Inbox will no longer be bold and the (23) will disappear even if I leave all the items in the Inbox. In the case of the Deleted Items folder those 7 unread items were unread from the Inbox that I deleted without reading. Once I empty the Deleted Items folder the (7) will disapper and the folder name will no longer be bolded.

3) So my problem is that I also see this in the Folder List

Inbox (23)
    Deleted Items (7)
    Outbox
    Sent Items
    Calendar (2)

The calendar folder name is bolded and there is a 2 after it. So my question is - just what does this mean in the calendar? As I said in my original post I have experimented and verified that
    a) it doesn't mean that any calendar items are high priority. I added a high priority item to the calendar and the number (2) after the folder name did not change. It would have changed to (3) if that theory was correct.
    b) it doesn't mean that there are future calendar events. I added several future calendar events and the (2) remained there. It would have changed to (3) or (4) if that theory was correct.

So I am left with,
    a) just what does this bolded Calendar name with a (2) mean?
    b) How do I find the calendar items in the calendar that are causing this (2) to appear? Since I don't know what criteria is causing the count of 2, I have no way of searching for the calendar items.

Again, I am not talking about thumbnails, but since you mentioned it I do understand what bolded dates in the Calendar thumbnail mean. If I select the Calendar in the Folder List on the left side then the actual Calendar appears in the window on the right. But a smaller calendar thumbnail also appears in the left window just above the Folder List. And yes, when that Calendar thumbnail is shown, any dates that contain events or appointments show in bold.

If you need more explanation, let me know.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dglarson View Post
    No, I am not referring to the Calendar thumbnail.
    a) just what does this bolded Calendar name with a (2) mean?
    b) How do I find the calendar items in the calendar that are causing this (2) to appear? Since I don't know what criteria is causing the count of 2, I have no way of searching for the calendar items.
    It appears you are in Folder List view in the Navigation Pane and the Calendar Folder shows a bolded number. In my installation of Outlook that bolded number shows the number of Calendar Items which will appear in my default calendar window view, which in my case is Day/Week/Month, 5 Day work week. To see the items I double click the Calendar Folder to open the Calendar Window. What is your default Calendar Window view?

This would have been much simpler if you posted a graphic, check the Help on how to do that.
    UTC -7ąDS

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I am in Folder List view in the Navigation pane. But I am not understanding what you mean by default calendar window view. The right side of my Outlook window shows the calendar. I have chosen to display a single day at a time in that right side. So asuuming I understand that correctly, I still don't get what the (2) next to the Calendar on the Folder List side means.

I have attempted to upload an attachment which is a screen print of my Outlook. Notice in the Folder View on the left that the Calendar Folder is Bold and has the number (2) after it. My questions are

1) What does the Calendar (2) mean?
    2) Assuming that the (2) means there are 2 events somewhere in the calendar that have some special criteria set, how do I find these 2 events?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    The Calendar Folder shows two items in Bold. You default Calendar Window view is One Day. You have two items visible in the Calendar Window One Day view. Were there more than those two items on April 28?
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think that number is indicating "Unread" items. While you have your Calendar folder selected, change the view of the calendar to "All Appointments" instead of day, week or month view. Scan down the list for bolded items. Once you open them, the number will decrease. I had 8 items on my folder and it appears to me that they were actually all very old items that were migrated in when we converted to OL 2007.

If you would like to change that count to be the total number of items posted on the calendar, you can right click on the folder name ("Calendar") and choose Properties. There is a radio button you can select for the total number of items vs the unread items.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks to Richelle for identifying the meaning of the number after the Calendar on the Folder List. As suggested I did a right-click, chose properties and was able to change a setting from "Show number of unread Items" to "Show all items".

But, alas, that still leaves me with the problem of finding which 2 items in the Calendar are unread. I tried changing the view of the calendar to "All Appointments" as Richelle suggested but I do not have an "All Appointments" selection anywhere. Its not under View, nor under View/Arrange By/Current View. Is it somewhere else? I've looked but can't find it.

Its not necessarily future appointments that are unread, I have many (much more than 2). So while it is clear to me now that this specification DOES indicate Unread Items in the calendar, just what an unread calendar item is, is not clear to me. In response to JohnBF, my Calendar for April 28 actually has, or had, 3 events. Other days have more or less. The "Calendar (2)" doesn't change as I navigate from one date to another. Again, it means unread calendar items in the entire calendar.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    Richelle is correct, it is unread Calendar Items. To see the view choices, you can select View | Arrange By | Show Views in Navigation Pane. If you don't want the view to show there, select View | Arrange By View | Current View | Active Appointments.
    UTC -7ąDS

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone. Showing Active Appointment in the navigation pane allowed me to find the 2 unread calendar items. FYI, 1 appointment was 5 months in the future and the other was 1 month in the past.