New Lounger
    Thanks
    I upgraded my desktop from Vista Home Premium to the same flavour of Windows 7. I had a problem with the wireless dongle not working with Windows 7, so I replaced the dongle with a compatible one. The PC works fine but it won't shut down. When I go to shutdown there is the expected disk activity as evertything saves. The PC then makes a soft clicking sound. At this point in Vista everything powered off. In Windows 7 it hangs. There is no more disk activity, it just sits there displaying "shutting down".

If I hold the power switch down at this point the PC switches off. It is also fine when I restart. However, if I don't manually switch off at this point it eventually bluescreens. On restart it says that windows didn't shut down properly. Too many of these incidents and I end up having to do a lot of work to recover Windows again.

I have searched online extensively, but haven't found a solution yet. Has anyone seen this problem before? I have updated drivers and BIOS and cheked all the settings that folks have recommended. I'm out of ideas other than doing a fresh install but I would prefer to avoid that. This PC gets used extensively every day and has loads of software on it and I don't have the time to do a fresh build right now.

Thanks
    Hi Werner,

Welcome to the Lounge!

There is a process or app, or driver that is not cooperating for shut down. Did you happen to uninstall the original Vista driver for the dongle that did not work with Win7? If not, I would remove all drivers associated with the old and new dongle and reinstall just the new driver for the Win7 compatible dongle.

If the above does not help, and if you have not done the following, go ahead and try this:

Click on the Win7 Start orb and type System in the Search box. When System appears in the list just beneath Control Panel, click on System . When the System page appears, click on Advanced system settings on the left side panel. Next click the Advanced tab on the System Properties sheet, then the Settings button under Startup and recovery. Look beneath System Failure , and uncheck Automatically restart . This will not allow your computer to automatically restart when it Blue Screens.

Now the next time you shut down, don't press your power button on your computer, just let it go to Blue Screen as you described. Now the Blue Screen will stay there until you restart your computer. Write down any error message and error code you see on the blue screen (or do a screen shot) and post back with the information. That will provide a starting point for investigation.

You can also go to the Event Viewer | Windows Logs under Administrative Tools and check the Application and System logs for critical errors and error codes at the time of shutdown. Post those also if you find anything in the logs.

Just in case there is a corrupted system file behind the behavior, you can start the command screen (cmd) by right clicking on it and selecting run as administrator . When the cmd box comes up, type in sfc /scannow (be sure to space between sfc and /scannow). This will replace any corrupt system files. You might have to insert your Windows 7 DVD if prompted to do so.

If sfc does not prove to be helpful, you can type into the cmd screen chkdsk /f which will check your hard drive for any file errors and correct them. You will see a message that asks if you want to schedule the procedure at next startup - just give permission to do so. The chkdsk routine cannot fix anything while Windows is running. Note that chkdsk can take a long time to complete.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a XP computer that will hang exactly the same way and it is related to the wireless adapter or driver, if I disable the adapter before shuting down, works fine, if not and the adapter was used in any way, it doesn't, so if the system was shutting down fine before it may be the same thing.

What you might try in addition to disabling or uninstalling the wireless dongle prior to shutdown is opening up a command window and typing in Shutdown -f -s and see if that forces a complete shutdown or not. More info on the command at http://www.computerhope.com/shutdown.htm .

If the problem is not associated with the wireless dongle then you'll have to use the investigative tools to dig deeper.