New Lounger
    Thanks
    One of my contacts has reported that when she received an email from me with some links to YouTube videos, which I copied from the YouTube page while viewing the videos myself, when she clicks on the URLs in my email message, she claims it displays her documents. She is an elderly lady and is not really computer-savvy, so getting full details from her is all but impossible. So I'm not sure at this point if she is seeing the actual documents opening on her computer, or if she is seeing perhaps Windows Explorer opening instead of being taken to the YouTube page.

I sent the same message to several others and no one else has reported this problem. She thinks I'm the one doing this to her computer and can't understand how I can do it. I've assured her I'm not responsible, and that she might have a virus. Anyone got any ideas?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Merriam View Post
    or if she is seeing perhaps Windows Explorer opening instead of being taken to the YouTube page.
    That sounds like a reasonable guess. If so, then it could be that the file type associations for URL on her PC are set to invoke Explorer instead of her browser. The instructions required vary from OS to OS but the sequence goes something like:
    open Explorer
    click Tools | Folder Options
    select the File Types tab
    scroll to find the line for URL, it should say Internet Shortcut and have an IE icon
    click Advanced
    click Set Default
    click OK out of everything

HOWEVER! If she's not very computer-savvy I would hesitate about asking her to do that. My experience of not very computer-savvy elderly ladies is that you'll be quicker popping round to see her PC yourself or if that's not an option getting her to get someone who is PC literate to look at her PC.

stuck