New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm still running XP Pro sp3 and using XP Office. I've tried all sorts of ways, however, I still can't save any MS Word files to Open Office. I'm also having trouble saving Excel files to Open Office. Is there a secret that I'm missing somewhere? Thanks, Peteski

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Karczmarczyk View Post
    I'm still running XP Pro sp3 and using XP Office. I've tried all sorts of ways, however, I still can't save any MS Word files to Open Office. I'm also having trouble saving Excel files to Open Office. Is there a secret that I'm missing somewhere? Thanks, Peteski
    I could be mistaken, but I am pretty sure that Msft Office 2007 (after a service pack was issued) was the first version of Office to allow saving documents in Open Document Format (.odt, etc.).
    BobR in New Mexico, USA

"Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me." This is our function, our challenge, our fulfillment - and our inheritance, to accept and to share, that the world may be healed.

Thanks
    Unless Microsoft included this in its Office 2007 compatibility pack (Download details: Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Formats), it might not be possible without a third party add-in.

Since OpenOffice.org can convert the .doc format, do you really need to save in OOO's format?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riley View Post
    I could be mistaken, but I am pretty sure that Msft Office 2007 (after a service pack was issued) was the first version of Office to allow saving documents in Open Document Format (.odt, etc.).
    See if OpenXML/ODF Translator Add-ins for Office will do what you want.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riley View Post
    I'm not sure just what all of you are talking about. Do I have to download all the service packs since I don't have them in my HD? I keep getting a box stating I don't have a validated copy of MS Office. I've always thought that I couldn't get service packs for other than my XP version of Office. Am I wrong?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    See if OpenXML/ODF Translator Add-ins for Office will do what you want.

Joe
    Thanks, Joe. I'll give it a try. Pete

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Karczmarczyk View Post
    I've always thought that I couldn't get service packs for other than my XP version of Office. Am I wrong?
    That's generally true, but if you use the automated update tool, you sometimes will get updates for later versions of Office. For example, if you install the Office 2007 converter pack, you may get some Office 2007 updates relevant to that converter pack.