Thread: mscams32.exe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Anyone know how to disable the Microsoft Lifecam file, mscams32. There is not point in its running.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If you mean keep it from loading when you boot the system use a utility such as Autoruns for Windows to manage what starts when you boot the PC. Autoruns displays an enormous amount of information. You'll be interested in the contents of the Logon tab.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe this runs as a service. Go Manage Computer and click on Services. Look for the service in the list on the right. Double click it, and change its startup to Disabled. You can also stop it there as well.
    Chuck

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Greets JoeP.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    If you mean keep it from loading when you boot the system use a utility such as Autoruns for Windows to manage what starts when you boot the PC. Autoruns displays an enormous amount of information. You'll be interested in the contents of the Logon tab.
    Autorun for Windows hey ? Is the Media Center one of these ? I wanted to re-install my app but it is not listed in Programs and Features of Win 7. The reason I want to work on it is that it hides my cursor. I once mentioned it to you. I also have 7 running-64 bit, on a Toshiba laptop and there the cursor is present. Funny. This elusive cursor is on an Acer 7 32-bit, as if it could make a difference ! I toyed with the idea of Regediting it all out but it might be locked into the OS and that would give me dire results.

How else to remove/reinstall Media Center ? Would an OS Repair do the trick. Thanks again for your time.

NB: Gadgets are fine now, except I did not get that small bar on the Notification area that was there to reset the Gadgets. No biggie. Was this a Vista thing ?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Parrot View Post
    How else to remove/reinstall Media Center ? Would an OS Repair do the trick. Thanks again for your time.

NB: Gadgets are fine now, except I did not get that small bar on the Notification area that was there to reset the Gadgets. No biggie. Was this a Vista thing ?
    Gadgets - handled differently in Windows 7. Right click on empty space on desktop and select "Gadgets" to manage gadgets.

Remove Media Center - Control Panel | Programs | Programs and features | Turn Windows features on or off. Then expand the "Media Features". Removing check from "Media Center" will uninstall. Adding check will install.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Good morning JoeP.

Gadgets - handled differently in Windows 7. Right click on empty space on desktop and select "Gadgets" to manage gadgets.

Remove Media Center - Control Panel | Programs | Programs and features | Turn Windows features on or off. Then expand the "Media Features". Removing check from "Media Center" will uninstall. Adding check will install.
    The Gadgets are doing good now, safe for the Notification "recall" button.

The Media Center is another bird. Your solution would only turn it OFF, not remove it. I have a feeling that it would only come back with the hidden cursor. I will try it for sure. The strange part is that the Toshiba laptop does not present this missing cursor, it is all OK. this explains why I would like to remove it completely then re-install. Is it part of the OS ? It is not shown at all in Programs and Features.

Have a large day. JP.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Your solution would only turn it OFF, not remove it. I have a feeling that it would only come back with the hidden cursor. I will try it for sure. The strange part is that the Toshiba laptop does not present this missing cursor, it is all OK. this explains why I would like to remove it completely then re-install. Is it part of the OS ?
    Media Center is part of the OS. That is why you must use "Turn Windows features on or off".

Try turning it off. re-boot the system. Turn it back on. If you still have the issue open a command windows with "run as adminstrator" and type "sfc /scannow" - without the quotation marks and with a space between the "c" & "/".

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I hate to bother your dinner.

Media Center is part of the OS. That is why you must use "Turn Windows features on or off".

Try turning it off. re-boot the system. Turn it back on. If you still have the issue open a command windows with "run as adminstrator" and type "sfc /scannow" - without the quotation marks and with a space between the "c" & "/".
    I did all this and now I am not furtehr ahead. Before, I could "fanthomly" move my mouse around and some icon would show that the cursor was on it, I could click it, blindly. After doing the above move, I have even lost this fanthom cursor, the only way to get out of Media Center is the DOS Alt-F4. I will now try the sfc /scannow. Be back in a jiffy or two.

Back after a few more jiffies. How do I get to be an "adminstrator" to run this sfc command, I got to the prompt fine ? Bon appetit !

Administrator
    Thanks
    Back after a few more jiffies. How do I get to be an "adminstrator" to run this sfc command, I got to the prompt fine ?
    Go to Start. Type in cmd. Right click cmd.exe and select "run as administrator".

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP.

OK, I got this going, no integrity to repair ! After 5 to 6 minutes. I learned something new today, fine day. Thanks but it did not bring back the cursor. JP.

Administrator
    Thanks
    OK, I got this going, no integrity to repair ! After 5 to 6 minutes. I learned something new today, fine day. Thanks but it did not bring back the cursor.
    Short of reloading Windows from scratch, which may or may not fix the issue, I'm out of ideas.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP, not to worry, not a master fault. I can use Media Player on this machine and it shows the cursor. Out of curiosity, have you seen this before ?

Short of reloading Windows from scratch, which may or may not fix the issue, I'm out of ideas.
    Have a great day and thanks for your attention. JP.

Thanks
    I'm wondering if the missing cursor is caused by a problem or setting in the Mouse Control Panel. Thre is an option to hide the pointer while typing. Also an option to show location of pointer (cursor) when I press CTRL key. Any chance this might help. just a thought.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Good morning Ted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I'm wondering if the missing cursor is caused by a problem or setting in the Mouse Control Panel. Thre is an option to hide the pointer while typing. Also an option to show location of pointer (cursor) when I press CTRL key. Any chance this might help. just a thought.
    A heck of a nice thought. We had it before this note and it did not solve the cursor problem. It is only in this app, Media Center, that it is elusive and only on this machine. Not a big problem as Media Player does not show this fault. It has me in a spin. As JoeP was saying, a new redo of Win Se7en might, maybe, cure this but is not warranted.

Have a great day and thanks to you too for your attention. JP.