Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi

We currently use Adobe Professional 7.0 and when an email address is contained in the document Adobe auto-generates a link to it. As with a lot of email addresses the first part is separated by a . i.e. tony.james@.....

Adobe doesn't pick up the first half of the email address so it would try to send an email to james@.... rather than tony.james@...

Is there an easy way to get round this without using our typesetters?

Thanks in advance

Tony

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony M James View Post
    Hi

We currently use Adobe Professional 7.0 and when an email address is contained in the document Adobe auto-generates a link to it. As with a lot of email addresses the first part is separated by a . i.e. tony.james@.....

Adobe doesn't pick up the first half of the email address so it would try to send an email to james@.... rather than tony.james@...

Is there an easy way to get round this without using our typesetters?

Thanks in advance

Tony
    There's some discussion of this issue on the Adobe forums, including this thread - I don't know if you find that helpful, and I am not sure that I fully understand what the answers are saying. But you might also like to ask about the issue there, if we don't manage to solve it here.

Ian

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Adobe Acrobat 7 Standard to create PDF files from Word 2002 SP3 documents, and I've found that mailto links that contain a period in the address are:

1. Created correctly if the PDF files are created using the "PDFMaker" add-in with the "Add links to Adobe PDF" option checked.

2. Not created correctly if the PDF files are created using the "PDFMaker" add-in with the "Add links to Adobe PDF" option unchecked.

3. Not created correctly if the PDF files are created by printing to "Adobe PDF".

In 2 and 3, the effect is what you've noticed - everything before the period is excluded.

My OS is Windows 2000 SP4, if that's relevant (hey, I'm at work).

Lounger
    Thanks
    Due to government outsourcing we use an external typesetter so all we receive is a flat pdf already set up. Is there a way of changing the settings within the document?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony M James View Post
    Due to government outsourcing we use an external typesetter so all we receive is a flat pdf already set up. Is there a way of changing the settings within the document?
    How are you creating the document that they then convert to PDF? (MS Word, etc?) Can you create the document with a Mailto hyperlink already in it? That seems to work for me - if I create a Word document with a hyperlink in it like ian.wilson@myisp.com then produce a PDF from it, that seems to produce the complete mailto address both if I create the PDF file using the PDFMaker add-in and if I do it by printing to Adobe PDF. (I'm using Acrobat 7 Standard).

Ian

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IanWilson View Post
    How are you creating the document that they then convert to PDF? (MS Word, etc?) Can you create the document with a Mailto hyperlink already in it? That seems to work for me - if I create a Word document with a hyperlink in it like ian.wilson@myisp.com then produce a PDF from it, that seems to produce the complete mailto address both if I create the PDF file using the PDFMaker add-in and if I do it by printing to Adobe PDF. (I'm using Acrobat 7 Standard).

Ian
    I've just checked the original MSWord doc and whoever generated it failed to 'hard return' after typing the email address. I'll inform the relevant people here. Many thanks Ian.