Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm looking to buy a new, whitebox PC. Don't need a lot of power & so am probably looking at an Intel Core 2 Duo processor. Would like to stick with an Intel processor, but am fine with an off brand (ASUS) board with Intel chip set. I find myself confused selecting among the available boards which fit a full tower case. I have seen several boards and chip sets offered by different vendors.

Also, can someone recommend a good shop who will build to my specs, either on-line or in the Los Angeles area?

Thanks

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Hipschman View Post
    I'm looking to buy a new, whitebox PC. Don't need a lot of power & so am probably looking at an Intel Core 2 Duo processor. Would like to stick with an Intel processor, but am fine with an off brand (ASUS) board with Intel chip set. I find myself confused selecting among the available boards which fit a full tower case. I have seen several boards and chip sets offered by different vendors.

Also, can someone recommend a good shop who will build to my specs, either on-line or in the Los Angeles area?

Thanks
    Ivan,
    Hello, although i have not "built my own", i am and would consider dong so . You can then get exactly what meet's your needs. I have looked into this briefly and there are three vendors that i would use Directron, Newegg, and TigerDirect all have great choices and have dealt with all of these vendors with no problems whatsoever.Right now my only recommendations that i can pass on are the following
    1. Get a tower that has plenty of room to expand
    2. Get a power supply that's larger than you need ( i have a Corsair 750W ) they have large fans. As i run at times 5 internal hard drives, and two CD / DVD RW Also you need this for a good VGA card
    3. Get a "MOBO" with at least 5 or 6 SATA ports My pc only has 4 and had to use a separate SATA PCI E card .(added 4 more internal ports) and now am utilizing 7 of the 8 that i have available (i like ASUS stuff)
    Can't speak about "LA" as i live in the mountains of NE Tennessee. Hope this is of some help Regards Fred
    PS: why don't you just build it yourself ? , as it would be a fun project.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred,

Thanks for the suggestions. I agree that a tower with plenty of room to expand and a large power supply are important. I too have run into expansion and low power problems in the past. I am aware of Tiger Direct but not Directron, Newegg and will give them a try. Still need help with chipsets and motherboards if anyone can give a hand.

Ivan

Thanks
    Intel Core 2 Duo processors
    Corresponding LGA 775 Socket Motherboards
    CPU Socket Types
    Form Factors
    Intel chipset Wiki
    Intel Chipsets:
    Intel Q33,35,43,45,57
    Intel G41/G43/G45
    Intel H55/H57
    Older
    Intel X48, 38
    Intel P45, 43
    Newer
    Intel X58, LGA 1366
    Intel P55, LGA 1156

I'd go with either one of these newer chipsets unless your under a serious budget.
    Check Newegg for prices and comparisons between products.
    Newegg is the best site for looking over a wide selection of products and doing comparisons with links back to the manufacturer, and customer reviews to boot.

How to build your own computer
    how to+build your own computer
    ElectroStatic Discharge or ESD

You should be prepared to do your own research even if you are planning to have someone build a computer for you. If your are able find someone, it will not be cheap.

If your not feeling up to the task of researching all your hardware components and making a compatable match, then you may want to consider sticking with a store bought/built model.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.